What's new
What's new

source for Jorgensen/Pony bar clamp PARTS?

specfab

Titanium
I have been meaning for several years to investigate this, and now that I am waiting on some glue joints to set up, the offending bar clamp has raised its head again. I have a number of those Pony/Jorgensen "heavy-duty" orange bar clamps in various lengths (you can never have too many...), and a couple of them have a broken spring that loads the pawl. This makes it an annoyance to use them, and I have been meaning to look into replacement springs for quite some time. I note NOW that the company was purchased in mid-2016 by a Chinese outfit, and I'm not having much luck finding out whether these springs are available as a replacement part.

Anyone out there with info or guidance? I can probably get something that may work at the Ace Hrdwre nearby, but that seems like a research project and likely trial and error. Off-the-shelf parts would be so easy...

It takes patience

I had the same issue with the springs, so I looked for replacement parts. I first contacted "The Adjustable Clamp Company" in Jan 2017. I received a response that the company is no longer in business. Since then, I have pinged them every 3-4 months regarding the issue. I finally received the replacements yesterday!

I'm curious where you found out about the purchase by a Chinese company.

Yup, Jorgenson went under. Bessey is now having similar I-beam bar clamps made in China. Haven't used them (and should have bought more Jorgensons's when they were available...) but wonder if their springs are same design.

Also curious if people have experience with the new Bessey I-beam clamps?

L7

The spring is two turns with a 35 degree bend. I would make the replacement spring myself before getting into imports.

The value of the time you already invested searching for a spring exceeds the value of the clamp. Just buy a replacement clamp.
You might find a suitable replacement at Lee Spring or Associated Spring or Century Spring.

This is for the idly curious:

GreatStar | Adjustable Clamp Company | Pony | Jorgensen | Chicago | Arrow Fastener | Holman | Woodworker's Journal

An interesting note down in the middle of the article about the other companies that have also been acquired by GreatStar.

I considered making the needed springs myself as well, but spending $5 for a couple of springs seemed like a much better value in the time/money matrix. Buying an entire new clamp falls much further out in that trade-off spectrum, though, when considering the occasional clamp usage.
"It's all about the economy..." as the old saying goes.

Back