What's new
What's new

Squares, the smaller ones. Which are good for a budget

The squares that I use most as a woodworker are a 12" combination square, a 6" combination square,and a 6" double square. All mine are made by Starrett.
I bought mine used, but If I had to replace them, I'd bite the bullet and buy them new.
I also use a 4" double square occasionally.
Rick W

The squares that I use most as a woodworker are a 12" combination square, a 6" combination square,and a 6" double square. All mine are made by Starrett.
I bought mine used, but If I had to replace them, I'd bite the bullet and buy them new.
I also use a 4" double square occasionally.
Rick W

Good advice! I mostly use my 12" combo and 4" double squares, both Starrett.

I use old ones mostly. 4", 6",8",12" steel and rosewood. Just check them against a good machinist square. If they are slightly out. I tap them into square and wick some super glue between the blade and stock. Usually keep one next to every location where it is commonly used.
Gives me a pleasure to use a tool that was bought new 100 years ago, by a person who appreciated good tools. A lot of them still have an owners name on them.

Search eBay for "pec blem square" you'll find lots of great options. My most used square is a 4" double square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search eBay for "pec blem square" you'll find lots of great options. My most used square is a 4" double square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Ordered the Pecs and a few other things.

will order a double square soon

14D Inch Reading Double Steel Square

Best square I've ever owned. One on the bench and backup in my tool box. The inexpensive machinists square lives by our drill press to check everything is lined up at 90 degrees.

No genius here; I was Rivett608 student in 2014-2016.

My calipers are mitutoya - I borrow my husband's calipers to his frustration. Hobby measurements that are inaccurate cause a lot of issues in assembly. I have great experience in hobby activity and do-overs. I finally learned that great tools give me a better outcome and were worth my investment.

Back