What's new
What's new

Sturdy DIY CNC Mill made of Fibre Concrete

Using some variant of concrete for machine tools is something I'm interested in, but many here will consider it a "home shop" experiment, so don't be discouraged if you get some negative feedback.

Edit: Took a look at the video, and it's a very small home-style machine. It looks good for what it is, but it's really not appropriate for this forum.

if you watch the video, you see it used for woodworking. I don't think that there's any intent for metalworking, hence the woodworking forum.

Does concrete absorb and/or give off water vapor? I'm wondering if that could be a potential problem long term for steel components? Seems like the epoxy/granite stuff would be impervious.

if you watch the video, you see it used for woodworking. I don't think that there's any intent for metalworking,

Understood.
However, if it was a full on CI & steel build would the project belong in woodworking, General, or metal working?
Ditto concrete.

However, anything that promotes woodworking is welcome. Posting on here, it would be nice for him to show & describe what he makes with the machine; and discuss the woodworking aspects.

There's also Don's imperative against non-industrial equipment. Which you will be aware i ignore so long as somewhat interesting (in the complex or accomplished sense) is demonstrated & described.

Should everyone who builds a youtube machine get to post a link to it here with little other participation?
Or do you think that would eventually lead to more participation overall?

I'm pragmatic, and interested in what the OP has to say on the subject as well.

smt

Hi Richard, thanks for the interesting question. While the concrete cures the water therein will partly condense, but most of it will actually be bound/consumed to the cement during a process called hydration. The cured concrete will not give off vapor. For my machine I also have an epoxy coating that seals the machine.

Only fiber ?
No pre or post stressing going on ?

As far as I can tell, just fiber. It's a higher percentage than usual, and there's companies promoting it like these guys:

Trinic

You can think of it as almost like a classic fiberglass composite, just with a different (more complicated) matrix material. I haven't seen anyone try this with woven glass, just fibers.

I'm actually interested in this for some larger machine projects, should be much cheaper than epoxy structures.

Last edited:
Didn't a big company make some multi ton machines using concrete for the main casting around 20 years ago? Someone made a table saw with a granite top.
Bill D

All of the 5-Axis machines at one of our customers are made with concrete X-Axis ways . . .

image2.jpg

MG, are they using a true concrete (Portland cement and aggregate), or a polymer and aggregate?

Regardless, it's a good use for such materials, rather than castings. I'd imagine the actual ways are butted linear rail? Anything fancy going on for alignment and smoothness over the transitions?

Does concrete absorb and/or give off water vapor? I'm wondering if that could be a potential problem long term for steel components? Seems like the epoxy/granite stuff would be impervious.

O.T.- but I remember something about that group of people who lived enclosed in that dome in the desert. There was a lot of unsealed concrete in the biosphere that ended up absorbing a lot of their oxygen. Screwed up their calculations.

MG, are they using a true concrete (Portland cement and aggregate), or a polymer and aggregate?

Regardless, it's a good use for such materials, rather than castings. I'd imagine the actual ways are butted linear rail? Anything fancy going on for alignment and smoothness over the transitions?

Standard Portland cement and aggregate out of a cement truck - lots of steel inside and size 65 linear rails butted end to end and ordered that way for that purpose. Rails are mounted to machined weldment that has jacking screws every 16 inches with lock nuts. Leveled with a water level and microscope initially and then a Leica laser tracker in final setup.

Back