What's new
What's new

table router setup

specfab

Titanium
I am considering swapping out my basic under-table router setup, consisting of a 1/4" thk machined cold-rolled steel plate that has my older Bosch router shoe mounted to it, set into a laminate-topped extension table belonging to the Unisaw. I need to adjust height from below the table, and bit changes involve taking the router out, so I'm looking for more convenience. I have been looking at the Jessem router lifts and Rockler's similar product, and I'm leaning toward the Jessem line. Does anyone have user experiences or insights to offer on these, pro or con?

I have been using the Woodpeckers for years and no complaints.
I think for a router lift above table bit changes and height adjustments are must haves.
The micro adjust on this model is a great convenience as well.

I use this one with the big PC router- great setup and I bought it specifically to get the fast disappearing act to get the bit below the table:

PRL V2 (Precision Router Lift)

That's ironic.

I never owned a router table until a couple years ago when i converted an old Rockwell "pin router" base to such; in order to use the overarm as a pilot guide for complex work on edge.

The ironic part is that it was important to me to be able to quickly yank the router and change the bit on a nearby bench or other work surface. Then replace and quickly position the height with final fine-adjustment control. Never found it convenient when using the original router in the under-table position. The conversion uses a Milwaukee router that has a quick over-center/camlock, and a quick detach acme thread (via push-in half nut) for height. I can't imagine much that would be more convenient. That includes my Griggio shaper when used with collet chuck, which is almost as convenient to change.

DSC_0031 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0003_01.JPG

There are many situations where it is convenient to pull the router for a bit change or adjustment, rather than disturb a set-up.
Another situation (besides as shown) is when a fixed ring collar is included in the opening.

DSC_0010_01.JPG

(lower guide/fence was cut from re-purposed mortiser spoil board. Rectangular pockets not set-up feature. :) )

smt

Thanks for the observations. I'm quite used to having to yank the router to do bit changes, and it's not such a big deal (especially where there is a top-of-table setup), but in my current shop layout with too little space and too many machines, it's a real PITA to get the router out simply due to limited access. The "convenience" aspect carries more practical weight for me at this point, when a router bit change (and height adjustment) becomes a full-body contortion/exercise routine.

As noted by SMT, if there is a setup or fixturing that prevents access above the table, bit changes have to be done the old-fashioned way in any case. This may be a trade-off from that proverbial convenience viewpoint, if pulling the router from a router lift is more of a pain than it previously was. More food for thought.

Back