Threaded brass insert installation - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    Here is the document from Woodcraft Supply. It says that the slot is to be used with a screw driver or their special "T" wrench.<br>
    I have a hard copy that is dated 10/29/90. The date on this on is from 2013. They have had this in print for at least 23 years.<br>
    <br>
    <a href="http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77A27.pdf" target="_blank">http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77A27.pdf</a>
    <br>
    <br>

Those are different inserts than the Home Depot ones you mentioned in your original post. They have a shallower notch and a buttress thread, which means they only go in one direction. And the install tool they suggest, a t-handled wrench, does not bear upon the slot but acts like a bolt and nut driver as previously noted. Please compare apples to apples.

12k15.3.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree they look very handy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is getting interesting, the slotted end is clearly up for these. If I were going to drive a lot of them I'd make a tool with the blade for the slot and bored thru for a screw also, get the best of both approaches. Would also make it easy to drive them beneath the surface and to remove them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hall View Post
    <br>
    <br>

Those are different inserts than the Home Depot ones you mentioned in your original post. They have a shallower notch and a buttress thread, which means they only go in one direction. And the install tool they suggest, a t-handled wrench, does not bear upon the slot but acts like a bolt and nut driver as previously noted. Please compare apples to apples.

12k15.3.jpg
    Happy now. Says the same thing about using a screw driver in the slot. Click on "more details".

HIGHPOINT - Threaded Insert - Brass - 1/4" x 20 8-piece

They probably think everybody out there is going to insert the pieces into pine boards so the screw driver statement holds.
    Sells more inserts until the buyer figures it out for himself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

used similar inserts to fix recoil pad screw holes on a old rifle.

driven in with a allen key....although the allen slot was shallow and prone to slip.

likes these

Hex Drive Thread Inserts To Prevent Stripping | Zoro.com

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few years ago i met a 71 yr old lady who was still resentful she had not been allowed to take shop class in HS.
    We partnered on a KD product, and she went to work in my shop 3 days a week. I made all the KD hardware including thread inserts for the adjustable feet on the leveling bases.

My system required tapping the plywood, but it was still pretty fast. Among her other tasks, I set the lady up on a DP with a tapping head and locating jigs and she would drill 4 places in 30 or so pieces, then change to the tapping head & tap; then install the inserts by changing a tool in the tapping head chuck. The tool had a small & adjustable thread engagement with the insert. So down drove the insert, up, removed the tool & on to the next. Probably only makes sense if driving hundreds. It was slightly fussy to get enough engagement to drive the insert, yet not pull it when the tapping head reversed.

smt