What's new
What's new

Tool gloat (I think..) : Meplamat hinge boring machine?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I don’t make too many door sets so have not bothered to put a hinge borer in the shop.
Well this puppy shows up in the penny saver for $75 bucks so I bought it.
This has a five spindle head on it- is that setup going to accept the standard three point cup hinge bores?

There was also a Griggio GM4 powerfeed head thrown in for additional $20 so not a bad day for bargains.

760B5F63-9104-4A47-96E0-9F071C8AFD54.jpg C8F97B85-0354-4F77-879A-45B1652ADD39.jpg

98B3252D-221F-4A9C-96B5-6F84F7D1655F.jpg

The Meplamat is this one I believe:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZVi4F8ESdA

Edit

Ah- ok looking into this I find that these use a outmoded hole standard so are obsolete.
Fools rush in.. so I have a nicely made scrap machine.
Maybe I can do something with the bits...

Last edited:
You can probably buy a different head with a different spacing. At worst you can use only one drill in the head and call it a drillpress with a nice fence and hold downs.
The power feeder probably needs some metric pipe to mount it.
Bill D.

I am setting up a Euro type edge sander- a Volpato and was thinking I might hack the feeder for the joiner side- It might be the feeder is mostly on frame- I have to work it out.
I have to check- I have a Felder feeder on the shaper which might be a rebranded Griggio..

I have to look into it- I might just be able to source hinges with this bore standard.

I don’t know any other way to post- I just use the icon on page to add photo and it is inserted that way.
If you click on them they expand in a image browser which can expand again if the image is clicked but are never very large or of high resolution.

A machine supplied by the hinge manufacturer usually will not drill for competing hinges. But you have a 5 spindle head? Can it be set up for line bore series holes? 35mm cup bit will be off line but can be skipped.
My Blum hinge machines were given to me for zip because we used so freekin many of their hinges. Even replaced it when it was a bit too far gone. Drill and insert hinges.

So I took a closer look.
The five spindle head is as follows looking down facing machine:

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 4.32.14 PM.jpg

Odd- so it has the standard 45mm x 9.5mm as a Blum hinge uses and a 32mm x 25mm

And what's up with the two different ends types on the spindles?:

IMG_3825.jpg

And how does this work- being satellites the center or small bits must be left hand?

Forgive me- been decades since I was doing full time cabinet work running a Blum borer and I don't remember the setup.

Thanks all

The hex ends look like add on items? 10 mm flatted shank for most all Euro bits, and Right and Left bits are the norm. Held in the chuck by a set screw. It may be possible to find a different boring head for that machine, but prob not worth it.

Thanks for that.
My shop is boat carpentry and it is not that often I run doors.
I would like to have this thing working and that 45mm x 9.5 side would be enough as I can get those hinges.
I just don’t get that five spindle head function- I tried to find a manual but no go.
These are supposed to be the Meplamat 48mm x 6mm so this is a newer machine using a ‘standard’ bore pattern..?
I have no ideal-
I will order some bits, toss this on a bench and see if I can figure it out.
It is a auto stroke pneumatic so a bit to play with there.

If I were a full bore (no pun intended) cabinet shop I wouldn’t bother and just get something from the hinge supplier.
As it is this will suit if it can be made to run.

I think that the 3 on the hinge pattern are used for hinges of course, and the 2 32mm spaced drills are used separately for doing line boring 2 at a time or drilling cab sides for the hinge plates etc.
I assume that the fence is adjustable front to back?

Last edited:

Back