What's new
What's new

Top wheel removal

NCMau

Plastic
I have a vintage 20’ Delta bandsaw. I need a tire and I have a spare top wheel that originally came with the machine. I don’t know how problematic is to replace the top wheel. I tried to tap the shaft from the back with a bronze mullet but it did not move. Not knowing what I was doing I didn’t go any further.
If I could I would love to replace the wheel since it has the original tire but I don’t want to damage anything.
Is there a proper way to take this wheel off! I hate to dish out $150 or so for a new tire.
I could use a word of wisdom on how to proceed.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 83
I would soak the shaft with Liquid Wrench and practice my waiting skills. Maybe with a few mallet tap hits every few hours. Might take a few days to loosen up.
So what. Using brute force is not the answer. I can understand that you don't want to risk damaging the rubber tire if you tried to remove it from one wheel and
fit it on another wheel.

I cannot see a key-way in the pictures but you know that there is a bearing on each side of the wheel. You might have to apply some heat from a torch on the hub
when the time is right to press the shaft. Just be patient and try the Liquid Wrench first. Wouldn't suggest this unless I tried it myself.

Sulfur Grove tool makes urethane tires to order and they don't cost 150, IF they are still there and haven't tripled their prices..

This is probably the grooved wheel so $150 for one tire does not seem unreasonable. I would think about filling the groove with epoxy and then truing it so you use a flat bottom tire.
Bil lD

I don’t know how problematic is to replace the top wheel.

Replacing the top wheel or the top wheel with shaft (from pic 1 & 2)?

It appears that the shaft nut should be removed and the wheel/shaft should pop off. Wouldn't that be nice.
It the shaft is pressed into a sealed bearing underneath the nut. So there is probably another bearing farther down the shaft next to the wheel.
A few taps with a mallet will not work and risk damage.

I would clean the exposed shaft (pic 1 & 2) and examine the length. Are there any sections that look abraded. Would indicate previous contact points.

Back