Unisaw lock knob thread size
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Unisaw lock knob thread size

I have a Delta 12/14 saw which uses the same lock knobs as a unisaw to lock the tilt and elevation wheels in place. I have neither knob to compare. Can someone tell me what thread they are. I believe they are 5/16 NF or a slim chance of 3/8 NF. These should be the simple ones with a 60 degree point. I am not sure if the non threaded portion near the point is needed or just a convenience so they come out and go in faster.
    Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I have a Delta 12/14 saw which uses the same lock knobs as a unisaw to lock the tilt and elevation wheels in place. I have neither knob to compare. Can someone tell me what thread they are. I believe they are 5/16 NF or a slim chance of 3/8 NF. These should be the simple ones with a 60 degree point. I am not sure if the non threaded portion near the point is needed or just a convenience so they come out and go in faster.
    Bill D
    On my Rockwell/Delta Builder's saw the lock knobs are 5/16-18.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is 7/16-20.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure if the non threaded portion near the point is needed or just a convenience so they come out and go in faster.
    The extension with the pointed end is needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill D
    Bill D, I can send you a photo of my Unisaw lock knob if you want it. PM me an email address. The thread is definitely 7/16-20, as EZDuzit notes, and I agree with Rons, point is needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made two and it is the 7/16-20 thread. A woodworker measured his and the necked down part is 1.7 inches long including the point at the end. I am not convinced the necked down portion is more then a convenience but I made it that way since I had it in the lathe already. The pointed tip is what does the locking . I do not see why the angle would be critical but at 60 degrees it is easy to make with thread cutting tools and to check with a fishtail. I left a small blunt nose on the tip.
    Bill D

Diagram courtesy of Bruce P.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock-knob.jpg