What's new
What's new

Unisaw lock knob thread size

Bill D

Diamond
I have a Delta 12/14 saw which uses the same lock knobs as a unisaw to lock the tilt and elevation wheels in place. I have neither knob to compare. Can someone tell me what thread they are. I believe they are 5/16 NF or a slim chance of 3/8 NF. These should be the simple ones with a 60 degree point. I am not sure if the non threaded portion near the point is needed or just a convenience so they come out and go in faster.
Bill D

I have a Delta 12/14 saw which uses the same lock knobs as a unisaw to lock the tilt and elevation wheels in place. I have neither knob to compare. Can someone tell me what thread they are. I believe they are 5/16 NF or a slim chance of 3/8 NF. These should be the simple ones with a 60 degree point. I am not sure if the non threaded portion near the point is needed or just a convenience so they come out and go in faster.
Bill D

On my Rockwell/Delta Builder's saw the lock knobs are 5/16-18.

Bill D

Bill D, I can send you a photo of my Unisaw lock knob if you want it. PM me an email address. The thread is definitely 7/16-20, as EZDuzit notes, and I agree with Rons, point is needed.

I made two and it is the 7/16-20 thread. A woodworker measured his and the necked down part is 1.7 inches long including the point at the end. I am not convinced the necked down portion is more then a convenience but I made it that way since I had it in the lathe already. The pointed tip is what does the locking . I do not see why the angle would be critical but at 60 degrees it is easy to make with thread cutting tools and to check with a fishtail. I left a small blunt nose on the tip.
Bill D

Diagram courtesy of Bruce P.

Attachments

• lock knob.jpg
    lock knob.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 77

Back