What's new
What's new

Value of SCMI slider table saw.

Scruffy887

Titanium
I think my machine dealer is blowing smoke up my butt. I have this really nice saw and he says it has no value because electric parts are not available. Really? It has a push button station with standard low voltage parts, and 2 motor starters in the electric cabinet. Hardly rocket science to replace those.
Saw works fine and is 220 volt 3 phase only, not a dual voltage saw. But I run it on 480 with buck/boost transformers attached to the saw. I do have the sliding table and a miter square that came with it. 14" blade, 10 hp maine blade, have never used the scoring saw. I have had this saw for over 25 years and have used it very little. I want to move it out from where it is but don't have space anywhere else to put it.
20210701_164126.jpg20210701_164117.jpg

I'm a huge fan of short stroke sliders ( I have 5 ) so I'm a little biased. If the stroke is still smooth and doesn't have a lot of lateral play, they are wonderful machines. Put it on woodweb and owwm.org for 2000-2500 and see what happens. Those are rare machines and worth having. If you were in Wis I'd have 6. Dave

I bought same model saw about 15 yrs ago (can actually look it up on PM) from PM'r "Surplus John" auction.
Mine did not have the slider aux. table itself (just what you show in pic). It needed a table roller bearing, which i made & ground as a post on PM. It also needed a camlock for the rip fence made. The wonky italian electrics had already been replaced with Sq. D equipment. The scoring saw unit had been removed.

Not that it makes a real difference, i think the main saw motor is actually rated 9hp.

My memory is "mine" was about $300. Might have been less.
That saw will take 16" blade/cut off a 6 x 6. (will cut at least 5-3/4" deep, maybe full 6", been a while since i had to verify) However the 16" blade will protrude about 1" at full retraction. It also has at least 3 step pulley positions to optimize blade speed from 8" cutters (dadoes, say) up to 16"

I have seen them sell around a "couple hundred" to maybe $500 +/- on IRS. You can search old auctions.

They are certainly seem like they ought to be a higher priced saw if a person realizes what they are getting. However, panel processing guys want a full length slider. Nobody else much wants them.

I may have an interested party but it is a long shot. Yours would seem "worth" something since you have the complete cross cut table in storage. Presumably with cross-cut fence and a few stops? The electrics are already changed to US starters? 220V is a plus. The scoring might or might not make any difference to a potential customer. Again, probably few would buy that as a panel saw. It's a nice, rugged solid lumber type machine with a lot of strength & rigidity.

Also, your slider table might be tight, not saying it isn't. But my experience is that it took some fiddling and machining to adapt the rollers to a true "no shake" condition level. They are built heavy enough - then just staked together. Once this is addressed, it is a tight machine.

If you have price in mind, let me know so i can relay it.
e h m co fab at g mail dot com

smt

PS - per what becker said, I have a full size auto beam, and a couple other TS's besides the SCMI. But "if there were more space here, I'd have another" :)

My reading was that the saw is 220v and you are boosting to 480. I agree the 480 is bad for resale if that is the case. The guts are the same as SCM's larger panel saw. The cast iron sliding table is not as smooth as the later al extrusion type so how tolerances are key as stated above. Auction prices would be lower than i quoted and I'm assuming condition is good, at least mechanically. A buyer with knowledge might knock you down some as the SCM Italian motors are notorious for failure so I assume at least one will fail and dock a machine accordingly. If you have swapped the motor bearings, I would include that in the description as they are overdue and a primary cause of motor failure, particularly in Euro motors originally designed for 50 hz but running at 60. The frame size is usually at least one size too small for the hp which doesn't help. Dave

I stand corrected about the HP
My old Rockwell catalogs list 9HP
However, when SCMI set up direct importing & distribution, they offered 5, 7.5, & 10 HP in the catalogs and manual.
So both yours and mine must be the 10HP versions.

SCMI manual lists belt position RPM options as 3200, 4500, 6000
Apparently there existed a 2 speed motor option to offer half-speeds in between.
Not sure i'd want a 2 speed Italian motor on a TS, though.

Nice the motor bearings are already done.

smt

Not to revisit another thread, but would you think this saw could handle Al extrusion and solid rectangular stock cutting (within physical limits, of course)? That would open up a potentially bigger market.

Not a great pic but a shot of the carriage with crosscut fence with stops. Covered with years of dust. It was never used as a panel saw because I have several Altendorf sliders, had a Striebig until replaced by a Holzma rear loading beam saw. I purchased the SCMI mostly for joinery in the mill room.
SCMI SLIDER CARR.jpg

Last call. Unless somebody wants this saw for $800.00 it is going to the machine dealer Monday or Tuesday next week. I have forklifts and can load.

Back