What's new
What's new

Vintage 12 or 16 inch jointer

TColca

Plastic
looking to buy a vintage 12 or 16 inch jointer,Yates,Northfield, Porter? They seem to be all up north and not willing to help with shipping.I am new to buying large machines and need to be better informed.
Thanks,TColca

looking to buy a vintage 12 or 16 inch jointer,Yates,Northfield, Porter? They seem to be all up north and not willing to help with shipping.I am new to buying large machines and need to be better informed.
Thanks,TColca

Where and how are you searching? Do you mean they are unwilling to help with crating and shipping, rather than the cost of shipping?

Skidding a jointer is not all that hard, but you might have to make the arrangements for shippng. A shipping broker can help with that. I sold a 24" Yates to a guy in Texas. I skidded it and he got a broker to arrange shipping. Went from Rochester NY to Austin in a huge trailer filled with Chobani yoghurt, driven by two Russian guys both named Ivan.

Yes ,they were unwilling to help with crating. don't know if there is a company for crating.Will try to contact some shipping brokers.Thanks for your help.

Yes ,they were unwilling to help with crating. don't know if there is a company for crating.Will try to contact some shipping brokers.Thanks for your help.
I have a couple 12" machines, crating and shipping is no problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That Northfield on the Dallas craiglist is the light version they made. If you want the heavier type, the owner of PM, Millacron, has one for sale (or had- I didn’t see it in his recent auction). Milacron’s looked new.

L7

Those lighter Morthfields are ok machines, nicely made, altho nowhere near as heavy or sturdy as the Heavy Duty models. But that one is way overpriced at $4K, which is why it's not yet sold. Half that amount would be ok, at least here in the northeast.

Can you fill us in a little bit about what you do and eventual use for the jointer?

The Northfield listed is a pretty lightweight 12" jointer, might not even be 8' long?
Though at 1/3 the price it would be a good deal.

If you don't connect with anyone here selling one, have you tried OWWM?

Given my aggravation & squabbles with the OWWM owner, i hate to suggest it - if you sign up/register on OWWM, several more forums come up including FS woodworking. You can post a WTB. People on that site are helpful and there is a process called "Ruckering" named after keith rucker, for getting machines from one place in the country to another via member stops along the way. If you are not in a hurry.

Many of us active woodworkers are on that site, and many of us have benefitted or participated in a "Rucker".

Old Woodworking Machines - Index page

If Don Thomas/PM site owner has a machine FS, you can be assured it will be like new. Or full disclosure. He only deals in top end stuff. He started out as a woodworker and still sells some wood equipment from time to time. Welcome to Procyon Machine - Specializing in CNC Machine Tools...

smt

Can you fill us in a little bit about what you do and eventual use for the jointer?

The Northfield listed is a pretty lightweight 12" jointer, might not even be 8' long?
Though at 1/3 the price it would be a good deal.

If you don't connect with anyone here selling one, have you tried OWWM?

Given my aggravation & squabbles with the OWWM owner, i hate to suggest it - if you sign up/register on OWWM, several more forums come up including FS woodworking. You can post a WTB. People on that site are helpful and there is a process called "Ruckering" named after keith rucker, for getting machines from one place in the country to another via member stops along the way. If you are not in a hurry.

Many of us active woodworkers are on that site, and many of us have benefitted or participated in a "Rucker".

Old Woodworking Machines - Index page

If Don Thomas/PM site owner has a machine FS, you can be assured it will be like new. Or full disclosure. He only deals in top end stuff. He started out as a woodworker and still sells some wood equipment from time to time. Welcome to Procyon Machine - Specializing in CNC Machine Tools...

smt

Great information,I am able now being retired to work more on my skills to become better at furniture making. have a mill and able to mill my own lumber. would like a larger jointer then the 6 inch craftsman.
Thank you,TColca

That Northfield on the Dallas craiglist is the light version they made. If you want the heavier type, the owner of PM, Millacron, has one for sale (or had- I didn’t see it in his recent auction). Milacron’s looked new.

L7

Thank you,will look for that listing

Those lighter Morthfields are ok machines, nicely made, altho nowhere near as heavy or sturdy as the Heavy Duty models. But that one is way overpriced at $4K, which is why it's not yet sold. Half that amount would be ok, at least here in the northeast.

Thanks so much.
TColca

I have a nice 12" Northfield HD with new bearings, knives and freshly rewound motor for a little less than that MD Northfield.

I think a poorly crated or skidded jointer might break off the tables. Some one is going to try to lift it by the tables, push it around by the tables and set heavy stuff on top of the table ends. If it is direct drive they will lift it by the convenient motor as well.
Bill D.

I think a poorly crated or skidded jointer might break off the tables. Some one is going to try to lift it by the tables, push it around by the tables and set heavy stuff on top of the table ends. If it is direct drive they will lift it by the convenient motor as well.
Bill D.

You are right,think i will be more patient and wait for one that I can go see.
Thanks,TColca

I have a nice 12" Northfield HD with new bearings, knives and freshly rewound motor for a little less than that MD Northfield.

That sounds more like what I should buy, would have to factor in the freight to Texas.What would be your selling price?
Thanks,TColca

Back