What's new
What's new

Walker Turner 16" Wood/Metal bandsaw gearbox help

Face4563

Plastic
I'm currently dabbling with my grandpa's old Walker Turner 16" bandsaw and trying to get it in working condition again. My current project is to remove the gearbox to clean and open it up to see what state it is in, but I can't quite figure out how to get the darn thing off. My initial guess is to remove the retaining bolt from the top of the gearbox and pull it off, but it's stuck in place quite firmly. Should I gently coax it off with penetrating oil and hammering the shaft with the bottom wheel removed? I would post some pictures when I figure out how to do so (I'm new here).

same boat here, but a 14". Im going to use gear puller to get bottom wheel off and go from there. Wondering if that shaft is tapered too. Gear box might come off the wheel side of shaft. No video or pics to show tear down. GL

Hold your horses- I have one of those out at the shop and had it all torn apart when I made a new shaft for the machine.
I don’t remember the setup but will be out there in the morning to refresh my memory- I would say it’s not “Stuck” don’t bang on it just yet..

I have a gear box for a W/T 14 or 16" sitting on the floor of the shop after you take the band wheel off the gear box should slide off the back side of the band saw. next thing is don't go by the numbers on the bearings use the measurements of the bearing W/T did some strange things with bearings more than one time I have took the number off a bearing a W/T machine and got a new bearing and it didn't fit. W/T wanted you to come to them for parts go to the OWWM web site to find the parts brake down .Ken

I'm currently dabbling with my grandpa's old Walker Turner 16" bandsaw and trying to get it in working condition again. My current project is to remove the gearbox to clean and open it up to see what state it is in, but I can't quite figure out how to get the darn thing off. My initial guess is to remove the retaining bolt from the top of the gearbox and pull it off, but it's stuck in place quite firmly. Should I gently coax it off with penetrating oil and hammering the shaft with the bottom wheel removed? I would post some pictures when I figure out how to do so (I'm new here).

Hi - New user here - I have exactly the same question as the OP (gearbox removal on a 1940's Walker-Turner 16" saw). It doesn't look like the removal process was actually described in this thread. Does anyone have any insight into this procedure? Reference to a how-to video or blog post? Any help is appreciated, thanks

Hi I'm new here as well 12/12/21
I have acquired a Walker Turner 16' that the gearbox has been removed and I am looking for one .Any ideas where I might find it
Phil Simon

Back