Wood work using a metal cutting machine? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are no hard and fast rules (commandments on a stone table), you cuts what you wants on your own machines. But the dust is real, as are the nasty metal chips from cutting aluminum on woodworking machines.

I wouldn't cut wood on that Makino or a prisine 10ee if I owned one. But an old Bridgeport, Southbend, whatever... for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last week I was turning lignum vitae on my Clausing 10”, what a dream, great finish,etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, rivett608, I thought you were stealing my thunder for a second!...

Here is the latest video from Lignum, one of my favorite YouTube channels:

He uses robots in most of his videos for building structural wood elements, furniture, art pieces, and even music instruments. Fun to watch and somewhat related to the subject at hand.

Jacques

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toot Uncommon;3573513[...
    used mill and lathe [...]cutting wood using a metal cutting cnc like a Haas or Makino. I find hardly an info on it. There must be a reason, no?
    I use my vertical knee mill for woodwork. I have to be careful of the silica rich dust. It's like any other abrasive.
    I intend to make get an arbor for wood shaper cutters and , mount a large wood torsion box on the table to use the thing as a shaper to make doors and windows and chairs.

You can also use a metal lathe as a profiling moulder.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One consideration when machining wood on a metal cutting machine is that the wood chips absorbs the way oil and can cause the slides to run dry over the ways. NSK used wood chips to test their self lubing linear rail system for this reason, as it was the worst material to have on the rails. Have a brush to sweep the chips off and an oil can to squirt extra way oil keeps a lathe bed and carriage happy when cutting wood.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my shop we made metal parts for most of the big guys in the stringed musical instrument business on the west coast.

The reason you see so many Fadal's in the shops was explained to me. The machines are readily available used in the under $10K range. Another $10K or so to upgrade to a high speed spindle, etc. Taylor started using Fadal's, so other makers not being intimately familiar with CNC followed.

AFAIK, new machine builders, Haas and others, have no problem warranting their machines for woodworking.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CNC routers use linear bearings just like metal working machines. Most of them don't have way covers.

I ran a few black walnut parts on my VMC recently. I postulated that I could run it in flood coolant, and the coolant wouldn't discolor the wood much and you wouldn't notice the different in the finished part. I was really excited, thought it was going to be a whole new thing: no. Terrible idea. Turned my coolant brown within a few minutes. Then the pump started having difficulty, and that was the end of that experiment. I think it could work well with a good dust collection setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On occasion I've used my milling machine for wood-working projects. Once my son needed to bed an air rifle barrel into a new laminated sporter stock. The barrel was exactly 1" in diameter all along its length. We made a fixture to hold the barrel in position and I used a 1" ball mill to travel the length of the barrel to bed the air rifle barrel. It worked nicely.

Other times, I've use a 14" end mill to travel the length of a new guitar neck to seat an adjustable truss rod.

There was no harm to the mill at all, Just a bit of vacuuming during and after the jobs were finished.

I think it's perfectly appropriate to use a mill in this way. It worked for me.