What's new
What's new

'80s MSC Motor Burn Out

Machine: 1980's MSC mill/BP clone, Taiwan made. Jih Chin 2HP 1Phase motor.

My shop is looking for help. Our main machine's motor had a burn out. Tried contacting MSC and they no longer support this machine. Reached out to H&W Machinery and they had no advice to offer. Ended up taking it to our local electric motor repair shop and was quoted $2,500 to repair. They diagnosed it as the stator starter winding was burned out.

I tried getting another quote from the other shop in town, but they are backed up over a month with work. I've called around and no one really seems to want to take a stab at it, I did have a shop say our quoted repair price was HIGH. I've been to told to just replace it with a generic brand from Grainger or McMaster.

I have not found a generic motor that has the same bolt pattern as this one.

Our questions are:
1. Does the quoted price for repair sound normal?
2. Are there generic motors that will fit this machine?

We're very grateful for any help or suggestions.

Attachments

• 71926277059__F51AE581-99DB-4CFE-AF35-1F3DAAE60EC8.jpg
    71926277059__F51AE581-99DB-4CFE-AF35-1F3DAAE60EC8.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3398.JPG
    IMG_3398.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3399.JPG
    IMG_3399.JPG
    387.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Price is high, but it's probably because the shop doesn't want to do the job. The re-winder I know won't even talk about anything under 10hp, preferably bigger. I guess small motors are harder to re-wind too.

The semi local industrial electrical supplier I bought my VFD through filled in some blanks about Asian produced motors for me. And it's probably why you can't so far find an off the shelf motor where you've been looking alliedindustrial.

For us in North America there's usually imperial and metric motors that comply with those frame standards. Then and for some reason it seems to be rarely mentioned on forums like this, there's "some" Asian produced motors that also comply with there own separate Asian motor standards that don't match up with either the imperial or metric. I hate to recommend this, but possibly Grizzly Tools https://www.grizzly.com/ or Precision Matthews https://www.precisionmatthews.com/ might be able to match what you have to get you back in operation again. My Taiwan built BP clone also has one of those Asian motors, so that's how I learned about that third set of motor standards that don't match up with anything from the usual industrial motor suppliers.

Many such machines have an extra long shaft on the motor. As long as you are replacing the motor consider using a three phase motor and vfd. Less to go wrong inside a three phase motor and the vfd gives variable speed etc.
Bill D

Look up Lin Guo Er on youtube. Maybe send it to her. If a peasant girl in the mountains can do this for reasonable prices, maybe one of our high-tech college grad artisanal craftsmen can figure it out.

Looks like you could do it yourself, actually. Watch her earlier vids, recently she's taken to wearing gloves and stuff. She's getting a little bit namby-pamby herself ...

Last edited:
Make a plate that mirrors the bolt-on flange of your motor. Buy a C frame motor and fit the plate to it.

Only issue is the length of the spindle. Maybe you can find a long spindle motor.

A Bridgeport motor won't fit?

Back