What's new
What's new

Air dryer for blasting cabinet? Do i need desiccant?

pcm81

Cast Iron
Greetings, i have a quick question. I am using silicon carbide in my blasting cabinet that sits in my non-air conditioned garage in florida. I just got a new air compressor and am trying to decide if i also need to upgrade my air dryer. I am currently using:

SHININGEYES Compressed Air Filter Regulator Lubricator Combo with Gauge 1/4" NPT Poly Cup with Aluminum Alloy Cover, Manual Drain, 5 μmm (1/4 Regulator Lubricator)​

It does remove some moisture in its filter stage (i am not using any oil in it). Basically am using it mostly as just a pressure regulator.
Do i need to get a multi-stage filter/dryer with desiccant stage like MILTON 1072-2 1/2" NPT or similar chinese knockoff that run around $130-$170 or is not using desiccant for SiC blasting is OK?
My previous compressor set-up were oilless compressors that were sitting in an ac controlled room in my house, the Eastwood QST is going to be in garage, so Florida humidity is the intake. I am not planning on doing any spray painting... I know i need desiccant for that...

Thanks

Get AC in your shop first. Then do some copper plumbing for the shop with proper water drops and cooling loops. I just use a standard Campbell Hausfield filter/oil separator combo filter. I have no water issues.

If you can't add AC then you probably should get a refrigerated dryer mounted right off the compressor pump line before the tank.

No refrigerated dryer will work with the kind of heat load that arrangement would create. You need the approach temperature to a refrigerated dryer at 100f or less, unless it's a high temp dryer with a built in aftercooler. The vibration would likely kill it in short order as well, which is why tank mounted refrigerated dryers aren't always a great idea.

I am honestly just trying to figureout if i should bother spending $200 on desiccant dryer or just let it go as is with my small existing filter/dryer for blasting cabinet specifically.

Basically ,you only need to ensure a free flow of abrasive ...if water in the air blocks off the abrasive all the time,then that is a problem ...........Id try what you have and see if it works OK ,before spending money .

John k hit it. If your media flows and doesn't clump up run it. In my area summers will often provide 80+ humidity. And with wet compressed air I've never had a problem with glass, sand or oxide blasting.

Back