What's new
What's new

Identifying an old massive German ironworker?

Julijonas

Plastic
Hey there, would anybody recognize this ironworker beast? Planning to restore it and find proper tooling... Also trying to figure out what is the function of the auxiliary punch handle mechanism (encircled in red), but it is dead stuck and wouldn't move in any direction. Haven't managed to disassemble it with just hammer/crowbar, but will try to involve oxy heating soon...Any tips on disassembly? Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpeg
    IMG_0191.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0190.jpeg
    IMG_0190.jpeg
    817.3 KB · Views: 76
That looks handy. Is all manual/hand powered? Could that lever be locked in place with another one to locate the punch, like having engaged 2 gears in a transmission so it can not move.

Yes, it is all manual. Nice thought, thanks, but currently hard to test your hypothesis as neither lever moves, probably due to rust…

Soak it in penetrating oil for a week or so....
My arbor press has 2 speeds on it and if the pins that engage either speed are both pushed into the lever nothing will move. The handle you are concerned with reminded me of that.

Mubea used to make versions of that, but I am not sure if that one is a mubea or not. Here is a thread with a picture of some much newer Mubea's . https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/manual-ironworker.131889/
Peddinghaus probably also made them long ago.
Here is a Peddi, again, probably not as old as yours.
But I am sure that at one time there were several other german companies that made these.

Soak it in penetrating oil for a week or so....
My arbor press has 2 speeds on it and if the pins that engage either speed are both pushed into the lever nothing will move. The handle you are concerned with reminded me of that.
Thanks, yeah, I was considering immersing it in oil, but it is just too big for any of my tanks. As for the speed shifting, it sounds quite probable!

Mubea used to make versions of that, but I am not sure if that one is a mubea or not. Here is a thread with a picture of some much newer Mubea's . https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/manual-ironworker.131889/
But I am sure that at one time there were several other german companies that made these.
Thanks, I've already looked into Mubea and Peddi, but none of them are that massive :) Also the punch diameter is different on this one...Maybe it is much older than any of these on the internet...

Thanks, yeah, I was considering immersing it in oil, but it is just too big for any of my tanks. As for the speed shifting, it sounds quite probable!
No need to soak it all in a tank, Just drip some on a few times a day and it will start to wick into the joints.
If you can slightly warm it sometimes that may help the penetrating oil to go in. Tapping with a brass hammer to get a little vibration can also be helpful, no hard hits to dent anything.

The vast majority of posters here are in North America. We had a dozen or so US manufacturers who made manual machines like that from the 1890s thru the 1940s or so, so there were almost zero german imports here. The only two german ironworker companies with much of a presence here were Mubea and Peddi, and, to my knowledge, neither imported more than a handful of manuals.
So if its an oddball german brand, you will need to be searching on german sites, not here.
The punch and dies should be available aftermarket. Dunno about Europe, but my guess is that there are punch manufacturers who make punches in all the standard sizes, just like here in the US, where I can get punches to fit obsolete US brands, Italian, Chinese, or Belgian ironworkers, and pretty much everything else ever made.
All of the European ironworkers I have ever seen take standard punch sizes. I guess its possible there was some pre-WW2 german oddball punch size, but I kinda doubt it.

To follow up on Ries's post here is a link to Cleveland Steel Tool, the make and sell punches and dies for just about every ironworker that has been available in USA. The good thing for you is each punch and die has the dimensions listed so you may be able to identify what you need by size. If after going through them and none fit that is also helpful to have a list of what it is NOT, so if someone says he thinks it uses such and such tool you can check your list to see if it could...

Scroll down to "order here".

l'd call both of those just "shears" :D. to the OP, just clean it and get it freed up, its a simple mechanism and should be easy to figure it out.

Back