What's new
What's new

Metal heals itself?

FredC

Diamond
Short article about metal healing nano cracks. Seems to be a newly observed phenonium.

This science alert place is interesting. A short article about puss caterpillars.
The article describes the pain inflicted by their venom. As one that has been stung by these little beasts twice I rate the pain a second only to a bad migraine. My experience was intense burning pain plus temporary paralysis.
Watch out for those little beasts, just barely brushing against them will be a mistake you will remember for years.

Last edited:
The cold welding phenomenon has been about a while, we had a slip gage stack in work under a sine table, when the stack was taken out it had become a single entity, one solid bar, belting with a hammer stuck.
Fascinating.
Mark

Short article about metal healing nano cracks. Seems to be a newly observed phenonium.

This science alert place is interesting. A short article about puss caterpillars.
The article describes the pain inflicted by their venom. As one that has been stung by these little beasts twice I rate the pain a second only to a bad migraine. My experience was intense burning pain plus temporary paralysis.
Watch out for those little beasts, just barely brushing against them will be a mistake you will remember for years.

Saw that on the wire this morning as well.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I know a guy with a rollercoaster who could use some of that :D

Something similar but more practical has been observed in the real world for decades. Both cam lobes and gear teeth, if they get micropitting from bad lube or other causes, if you drop the load back and make sure the oil is good, the metal will self-heal in operation after a time. Not exactly the same thing, but more useful.

:ill:Is this like the golf balls infused with lizard DNA so that the cuts self heal and duck DNA so you don't lose them in the water hazard.

Back