What's new
What's new

OT - Vacuum will remove water from tire - won't it?

I'm mixing concrete in 1 quart batches to do detailed touchup work on patches today, I get what you are saying about hiring outside help, I'm not a perfectionist either:rolleyes5:.

Tire work is where I draw the line, I'll put a spare on, but I'm not breaking one down. First time I called the tire guy for the JD I figured I would learn, after watching him do it, I was happy to pay his price.

After breaking down several tires I came up with this thought "If your fighting the tire, your dooing it wrong, and the tire wins"

Before I take it anywhere, I'll try breaking the bead myself. I have a slide hammer-tool meant for breaking beads.

30 years back, my friend's father restored a '72 Pontiac. This was back before people did frame-off restorations, but he did. Beautiful paint, and the car had those 5 spoke factory wheels which were painted to match the car. He did a very high-level job in painting them. Then, in a lapse of reason, he took them to a tire shop to have new tires mounted. The doofus there pulled in the new stems using a tool that chipped the paint big-time on all 4 wheels and didn't give it a moment's thought....

As an aside, the car was doomed...6 months later an undocumented lady was so busy dreaming that she ran a red light, swerved to miss a car, and took out the entire driver's side of the car as he sat at the light. Totaled. She hadn't had time to buy insurance so she ran away instead.

"As an aside, the car was doomed...6 months later an undocumented lady was so busy dreaming that she ran a red light, swerved to miss a car, and took out the entire driver's side of the car as he sat at the light. Totaled. She hadn't had time to buy insurance so she ran away instead."

I never heard such bullshit in my life. At least she was only "undocumented" and not illegal, huh? And that sadistic gringo boss wouldn't let off long enough to buy insurance, right?

Before I take it anywhere, I'll try breaking the bead myself. I have a slide hammer-tool meant for breaking beads.

Not sure why you want to do all that work. Go back and look at post #13 and 44. I think there is a commercial tube for doing this. I watched the fellow that put the 4 new tire on my 6030 do this. It gets the water out to the last couple of ounces. If you want it wiped out dry do it a couple more times on a hot day with the sun shining on the tires.

Since 6030 photos get so many likes here is another. Cat got stuck up the utility pole parked the tractor next to it so she could jump down.
scaredycatRS.jpg

30 years back, my friend's father restored a '72 Pontiac. This was back before people did frame-off restorations, but he did. Beautiful paint, and the car had those 5 spoke factory wheels which were painted to match the car. He did a very high-level job in painting them. Then, in a lapse of reason, he took them to a tire shop to have new tires mounted. The doofus there pulled in the new stems using a tool that chipped the paint big-time on all 4 wheels and didn't give it a moment's thought....

As an aside, the car was doomed...6 months later an undocumented lady was so busy dreaming that she ran a red light, swerved to miss a car, and took out the entire driver's side of the car as he sat at the light. Totaled. She hadn't had time to buy insurance so she ran away instead.

Reminds me of what we often hear on the scanner from a neighboring town's PD.

"No license, no registration, no English. We need an interpreter here."

I have a friend who owns a shop that fixes heavy tractors...he tells me those big 8 wheel pivot-type tractors are very closely related to 18 wheelers in terms of the drivetrain. For whatever reason, they are looked down on, somewhat, for that reason in the tractor world. I think the idea is that a 'real' tractor would use a more substantial engine/transmission.

Anyway....I took one of the tires off and it was heavy AF. It weighed in at 332lbs, and that was after I had already let it drain with the valve at the 6 o'clock position last week. I removed the valve core to let the air out and was surprised that more water issued forth....quite a bit. I let that drain for a while, then I broke the bead easily with the KenTool slide hammer. I tried prying the tire off the rim, and it came off easily as well. Used the shop vac to suck out the big stuff, dried it all out with a towel and fan, then reassembled. 174lbs...a savings of 158lbs. That's very satisfying. I bet I drained another 150lbs (or more) last week so that's around 600lbs less weight on my soggy mud field.

By the way, it was a tubeless setup.

Thanks everyone!

tire water - Copy.jpgtire after water removal - Copy.jpgtire before water removal - Copy.jpg

Similar model, but a little bigger ? Cool tractor ...

[
I wouldn't want to mess with those tires. Probably break a leg if one fell over on you.

The fellow that changed those tires will not do it again. If I say the word tire within 20 feet of him he runs and hides. He will let the water out of them but will never change them or fix flats again. "Sure I can do that" is no longer part of his vocabulary. Full of water or with wheel weights attached they weigh a pretty penny, probably would not break a leg but crush it.

On those big tractors my neighbor has a couple of track models. He bought a F350 or F450 truck to run fuel out to them and found out it could not carry enough fuel for one day (needs 1000+ gallons a day).

Gordon, thanks you can see her expression now. "What did I get myself into?"

I have a friend who owns a shop that fixes heavy tractors...he tells me those big 8 wheel pivot-type tractors are very closely related to 18 wheelers in terms of the drivetrain. For whatever reason, they are looked down on, somewhat, for that reason in the tractor world. I think the idea is that a 'real' tractor would use a more substantial engine/transmission.

Anyway....I took one of the tires off and it was heavy AF. It weighed in at 332lbs, and that was after I had already let it drain with the valve at the 6 o'clock position last week. I removed the valve core to let the air out and was surprised that more water issued forth....quite a bit. I let that drain for a while, then I broke the bead easily with the KenTool slide hammer. I tried prying the tire off the rim, and it came off easily as well. Used the shop vac to suck out the big stuff, dried it all out with a towel and fan, then reassembled. 174lbs...a savings of 158lbs. That's very satisfying. I bet I drained another 150lbs (or more) last week so that's around 600lbs less weight on my soggy mud field.

By the way, it was a tubeless setup.

Thanks everyone!

View attachment 325143View attachment 325144View attachment 325145

Yup, you've done it the same way I doo.

Now if it was calcium, I would advise washing with a garden hose
to really get it clean.

My new/used Kubota, it turns out, came with water filled tires. Yuck.

So I positioned the valve stems at 6 o'clock and let it all squirt out. Of course, everything below the stem line didn't drain, and I'm guessing there is still 15 gallons in each tire.

I'm thinking I could hook up my vacuum pump and reservoir and suck it out by connecting the vac line to the Schrader valve...right? Or am I overlooking something? I'd like to get all of the water out - for this tractor, lighter is better.

View attachment 324970

I have several tractors and pieces of heavy equipment and my farm hands and I do all of our own tire work.

If you try that approach, if it is a tubeless tire you will suck the bead right off of the rim long before any significant water is evaporated. However, if it is a tube type you will be able to suck all of the water out of the tube if the valve stem is positioned at 6 o'clock.

All of my ballast filled tractor tires are tubeless though, but study the valve fitting to try to determine which you have. Metal tire fittings could be either tube type or tubeless.

I don't know what you have available in terms of equipment, but the inside of the valve core is too small to put a tube through it for suction. If it were me and it was a tubeless tire, I would raise the tractor up, support the axle, and de-seat only the outer bead using a bead breaker. Then I would snake a tube in-between the bead and the rim and siphon out the remaining fluid. You should be able to reseat the bead with air since it is a used tire. Sometimes new tires can be a bear to seat, but used tires are usually fairly easy.

If you cant get the bead to reseat try putting some bead grease on the bead and rim, and use a ratchet strap or come-a-long around the outside of the tire to force the bead close to the rim. Once it seats you need to release the tension on the strap/come-a-long rather quickly.

Water under the bridge now, if you will pardon my pun, but it is possible to get about 99% of the water out of a tire by using a thin tube inserted through the stem. Stem needs to be at the bottom of the rim, jack the wheel up so the bottom of the tire isn’t being flattened by the ground contact; don’t air the tire down first, the air pressure will push the water out. May need to add some tape on the tube so it seals somewhat inside the stem.

I never heard such bullshit in my life. At least she was only "undocumented" and not illegal, huh? And that sadistic gringo boss wouldn't let off long enough to buy insurance, right?
I heard worse. And it was the voters of California who did it. There was a proposition to pay for insurance at the pump, however many cents per gallon of gasoline. Then everyone is covered, period.

But nope, the brilliant voters decided they preferred to take individual butt-reamings every time there was a crash because they like to be sodomized by their friendly local auto insurance agent.

I was told Hawaii has a system like this, is that true ? (Pay at the pump, not fun with big dildoes by Snidely Whiplash the Insurance Guy .)

The government should build roads and brides, and defend our land against foreign invaders. It should run the legal (justice) system. Beyond that, it's asking for a beating to get the government involved in much else.

It's very common for 'the poor' and illegal to have no insurance. Why? They have nothing to lose. It's one of those examples of the poor getting by easier than everyone else but no one mentions it. Most people in Texas have at least one story of someone getting hit by an illegal who suddenly can't speak a word of English and could probably qualify for the Olympic 100 yard dash.

We need a government agency to come to your house and take the water from your tractor tires.

and another to properly dispose of that stinky water.

and one to be sure you are qualified to drive or own a tractor.

and one to walk about your yard to see you are doing nothing wrong

and one to......

And that poor OP guy with the water wheel tractor is waiting for answers.

The grubberment should/could put some cameras in his yard so as to know how he is doing.

Could make up some new laws that discarded water needs to be bottled up and sent to countries that need water... or outlaw tractors so this might not happen again.

But that won't help with the problem....darn

And that poor OP guy with the water wheel tractor is waiting for answers.

The grubberment should/could put some cameras in his yard so as to know how he is doing.

Could make up some new laws that discarded water needs to be bottled up and sent to countries that need water... or outlaw tractors so this might not happen again.

But that won't help with the problem....darn

Greg....did you get the tire mounted O.K. ?

Back