What's new
What's new

Speedi Sleeve / Shaft repair sleeve questions

Cole2534

Diamond
I have a Gen VI BBC that has some pitting on the rear main seal surface. It's in a marine application, so the cause probably obvious. Rather than pull the crank and send out for grind I'd like to try using a shaft repair sleeve.

I believe the correct part number to be SKF 99435. Looks like there's a Timken option as well. Any preference between the 2?

Other than ensuring it's squarely seated to depth, what do I need to know?

I've used the SKF a number of times with success. Only issue I've run into was the sleeve slightly deformed around a keyway that I was attempting to cover with the sleeve. Makes sense as that was outside the design intent for the sleeve. Used properly I've never had an issue.

Have only used the SKF, but they're all most likely the same.

You can warm them up in hot water to make install smoother.

Volvo. used to have a seal holder that allowed you to push in the new seal deeper then the factory one. This moved the lip onto an untouched portion of the shaft. I think it allowed two new seals before resleeveing was needed. The seal outtr diamter may have shrunk with each replcement?
BilLD

Volvo. used to have a seal holder that allowed you to push in the new seal deeper then the factory one. This moved the lip onto an untouched portion of the shaft. I think it allowed two new seals before resleeveing was needed. The seal outtr diamter may have shrunk with each replcement?
BilLD
I tried that, last year. No luck. The GM crank has the room to do it, though.

I've used the SKF a number of times with success. Only issue I've run into was the sleeve slightly deformed around a keyway that I was attempting to cover with the sleeve. Makes sense as that was outside the design intent for the sleeve. Used properly I've never had an issue.
in cases like this or even for a bad groove worn in by a seal it is a good idea to fill the grooves with some sort of epoxy or JB weld type of stuff. Then file or sand smooth, just so the epoxy is filling the low spots. This keeps the thin speedy sleeve from mirroring the surface below. Pits may not be as big a concern for that, depending on their size.

Back