What's new
What's new

WTB Monarch Series 61 13x30, need some input.

Chips Everywhere

Cast Iron
Lately, I've been getting some parts that are a bit of a pain to machine on my HLVHs, shafts and 3"+ diameter parts. I love the Hardinge, but machining shafts is a pain because of the tailstock/apron design and I can't really take a decent roughing cut on it, so I waste a lot of time on roughing. I'm not bashing the Hardinge, it's just not suited for this application. My plan is to part with a Hardinge to make room for a Series 61.

I am looking for a Series 61, ideally a 13" model. I would like to stay at 30 between centers, but for the right machine, I can go slightly longer bed and bigger swing.

From my understanding, they are capable of being sped up to 1500rpm, with some modification. Can this be pushed to 1750-2000rpm, safely? Any know problems with these machines to look out for?

Anyone located near Brooklyn, NY that owns one of these machines that is willing to let me check out their lathe? I just want to see if this is the correct machine for my application before I buy. If so, please pm and I'll be sure to bring some good pastries with me.

Last edited:
Not sure I'd push it to 1700-2000 rpm. A 13" can go a little faster than a 16" with smaller headstock and gearing, 1200-1500 maybe. But you'll be gaining quite a bit of weight and rigidity I'd expect, they are pretty heavy machines.

I wouldn't get too hung up on speeds. All the South Bends run around 900-1000 rpm and do fine for a lighter machine. Monarch had considerably a better name at the time, even with these running 1000-1200 rpm.

Typical problem or maintenance areas are lube systems, as is the case with pretty much all old machines. They have either been maintained recently, or not. If no, you'll have to get them cleaned and flushed out. Feed rod spins drive dogs in the apron, the dogs might have wear. Bushings for worm gear in apron seem to be a wear spot if never rebuilt before. Square bushings in clutch arms wear a bit and get sloppy. All this can be addressed.

I have a bigger 61. It's 18 1/2 X 54". A pulley swap is the difference between 700 rpm vs. 1000 rpm top speed. I wouldn't think you'd want to try and get your spindle running that fast, but a call to Monarch's service department will get you a quick answer. Not sure why you'd need that high of a speed. When I need to hog down a shaft, I can take an inch of diameter off in one pass (.500" doc). Mine has a 15 hp motor. Mine is a toolroom version, setup with cross slide stop for threading, spindle reversing lever on the side of the saddle. A great lathe. Very rigid, and very accurate.

From time to time I get the oddball part that needs higher rpm speeds that doesn’t fit in the Hardinge work envelope, but for the most part I wouldn’t be running it at higher rpm.

The other lathe I was looking at was a Mori Seike 850, but I already have a Monarch tool cabinet, so looking for a Monarch for now. 😂

I’m selling everything from my departed friends shop for his daughter. The crown jewel is a Monarch 13EE 30” bed. Max spindle speed is 2,000 rpm. Check out the video we made of the machine in operation on YouTube.
“Monarch 13EE lathe demonstration”
We’re just a short plane ride to Houston Hobby Airport. I could pick you up, and even put you up in one of my houses on Galveston bay and bring you back to the airport.
PM me if you’re interested.
Jim

Back