What's new
What's new

Cincinnati gear cutter grinding attachement parts needed

crystalltiice

Aluminum
Hi,

I have the cincinnati gear cutter grinding attachment but am missing a part. It is the bent arm that is used for setting the tip of the cutter on the center line.

The arm can be seen here in this picture on the top left, it is the one with the long slot:

Redirect Notice

and also this picture:

Redirect Notice

I'm planning on laser cutting something but need some starting dimensions. Some pictures with dimensions/outline traced on paper and scanned to jpg or CAD drawing:D would be nice! alternatively just a text explanation of the sizes can also work.

Also, what does the bolt and nut that hold it in place look like?

And, is the tip adjustable or just ground to the exact size and bolted in place?

Thanks a lot!! I'm busy cutting a gear and the cutter needs sharpening, I'm eyeballing the center but want to get the attachment fixed.

The arm is 15mm thick at the slot, the slot is 15mm wide and 125mm long. overall width is 33.5mm.. From the centre of the slot to the 3/8" hole at the end of the arm it is approximately in 59mm, and from the end of the slot to the cetre of the hole it is approx 57mm.

Great stuff!!!

CAD drawing made and sent for cutting! The power of technology and willing strangers!

Looking at the 3/8 threaded hole, I assume that the pin is threaded in and locked in place with the nut but if need be it can be tweaked a bit to get it on center, or is it threaded in to a shoulder? Any chance to get some dimensions of the pin?

Again, thanks for the effort!!

PS. How does the bolt holding it in place look like as well as the nut, I'm thinking of a knurled nut and maybe a spring so it doesn't need to be loosened and can just be swiveled out of the way when not needed.

Do not know how it is attached. It was all jumbled together in a box of other attachments.

There was a bit screwed into the end of the piece above. 65mm long, with a threaded portion 32mm long. The 3/8 shank is 61mm long, then there is a thin flat head 23.7mm in diameter and about 3.9mm thick. It has an angle cut into it so it looks like a countersunk bolt head.

Thanks RC99,

Have a look at the second link in the first post, it shows it nicely assembled. The idea is that the tooth face to be sharpened is pressed against the head of the pin to align the cutting face up with its center line (this center line is parallel with the travel of the table ). The pawl is then adjusted to press against the back of the tooth to be sharpened. the arm is then swung away and the two opposing knurled knobs is used to advance the tooth face in a radial way and not the table in/out adjustment.

I hope that makes sense. I have a manual, the pictures are not that great but once you understand what needs to happen it is very simple. I can scan it if you need a copy, just let me know.

Here is an online book, think it is slightly different from mine but it also explains it:

Operator's Instruction Book, Cincinnati No. 2 Cutter and Tool Grinder : The Cincinnati Milling Machine Company : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The other problem I'm faced with is that the arbor that the cutter is supposed to fit over was designed for 1" cutters and using sleeves for even bigger cutters/blades, my cutter is 22mm ID, haven't found a bush for that....

Regarding the bolt that holds the arm to the attachment, the first link I posted seems to show a bolt with a T-nut type head, I think I'll make something like that. This is a nice attachment to have as you can sharpen form cutters, slitting saws and also circular saw blades.

Back