What's new
What's new

What CAD software to create 3D models for 3D printing?

swamp dweller

Cast Iron
So we have a basic 2D cad system (Powerstation) that is sufficient for our needs and a CAM system (Smartcam) that also gets the job done. We are currently looking to get into 3D printing to use for prototyping parts instead of making prototype molds and all the time and changes required with that process.
What's the most realistic software to consider to make the 3D model? Solidworks and AutoCAD are cost prohibitive so we're looking for something less sophisticated that will allow us to go from a 2D drawing to a 3D model. Looked at Sketchup (looks more like something for architects doing houses than building molds) and Rhinoceros ( more along the lines of what we're looking for). Has anyone used these or have suggestions of another system that we should consider?
Thanks for any help.

SpaceClaim is around $2500, we have a lot of seats of that as well as a few seats of Solidworks. The guys prefer SpaceClaim.

Jake

So we have a basic 2D cad system (Powerstation) that is sufficient for our needs and a CAM system (Smartcam) that also gets the job done. We are currently looking to get into 3D printing to use for prototyping parts instead of making prototype molds and all the time and changes required with that process.
What's the most realistic software to consider to make the 3D model? Solidworks and AutoCAD are cost prohibitive so we're looking for something less sophisticated that will allow us to go from a 2D drawing to a 3D model. Looked at Sketchup (looks more like something for architects doing houses than building molds) and Rhinoceros ( more along the lines of what we're looking for). Has anyone used these or have suggestions of another system that we should consider?
Thanks for any help.

We did our 3D Modelling in Autocad 12 and then exported the file to the format the 3D Printer could use and from there starting printing. File format I think from memory is *.PTS.

3D Printer we are using to test out the system is Flash Forge, which uses the Makerbot Software. So far so good.

Cheers ....

If you can't even afford software like solidworks, how good of a printer can you afford? The cheap printers are pretty much worthless.

We used SolidWorks to produce our 3D prints saved as STLs. This has worked out great for us. we recently upgraded to 2014, but we had been using 2006 without any problems with the 3D printers, we are using. Just not as good for doing the drawings.

You will need to know the format that the printer will read before you start anything. Most additive manufacturing I'm aware of makes use of .STL files. These are stereolithography files. The nurb surfaces are transformed into a mesh of triangles. The printer then reads these .STL files and slices them up into layers that will be deposited by the printer.

I understand keeping things on a budget. if the cost of a reputable CAD package is prohibitive, the cost of printing your own parts is also going to be prohibitive. Cheap CAD software can cost you far more in time and lost productivity

I use AutoCAD but yes it is very costly. But there are many other free programs available. Be warned that they are free for a reason but will get you going.
Sketchup, Freecad, OpenScad are three.

3D Systems sells the Cubify line of 3D CAD software at pretty low prices ($200 or less). It is based on the old Alibre parametric CAD software, but limited to single parts (no assemblies) and probably other features.

Cubify - Express Yourself in 3D

I use the upscaled Geometric Design ($2k) for more mechanical CAD purposes and a recent update added 3D printability features that are supposed to help you get a design that is more appropriate for the limitations that 3D printing imposes. Presumably the Cubify line has these features as well. Only 3DS printers are supported, but it appears that you could probably find a 3DS model that is reasonably close in features/specs to most other printers out there.

Mike

I use Cubify Invent to design 3D parts for printing- it's inexpensive and pretty versatile.

In the free category, take a look at OpenSCAD - it's used by a lot of folks to design parts for printing.

While some are proprietary, the vast majority of 3D printers work with .STL files.

I second the previous comments of the quality of the really inexpensive 3D printers. Quality units start in the $1500 price range and go up from there. Also beware of printer manufacturers that use proprietary technology to lock you into buying supplies such as filament from them.

Freecad is free and saves as step and stl files
i can get it to do most things although i admit they got more work to do on assembly and creating dimensioned drawing easier to do. the youtube tutorials do help.
they also got more work to do with the help system. many things will work but are not well documented. what i like most about it is if the folder is copied to a usb flash drive it appears to run on another computer without having to install anything. commonly called a portable app this makes being able to use it on any computer within 1 minute of plugging the flash drive in very much convenient.

3D Systems sells the Cubify line of 3D CAD software at pretty low prices ($200 or less). It is based on the old Alibre parametric CAD software, but limited to single parts (no assemblies) and probably other features.

Cubify - Express Yourself in 3D

I use the upscaled Geometric Design ($2k) for more mechanical CAD purposes and a recent update added 3D printability features that are supposed to help you get a design that is more appropriate for the limitations that 3D printing imposes. Presumably the Cubify line has these features as well. Only 3DS printers are supported, but it appears that you could probably find a 3DS model that is reasonably close in features/specs to most other printers out there.

Mike

Mike,
Before retiring I used ProEngineer for 16 years. After retiring I looked around for a solid modeling package for personal use. I was using Alibre pe which somehow morphed into geomagic design, and then into Cubify Design.

Cubify Design DOES do assemblies. (Priced at $199)
Cubify Design does write stl files.
When you pull your assembly into a drawing you can generate a b.o.m.
Like any software package it does take time to learn, but it's worth it.
I love it, though I do miss having sheet metal capability.

Here's a snag of Cubify Design's web page & a drawing of a sub-assemby I made for my Hardinge Cataract benck lathe.

cube-1.jpg

tensionerlink.jpg

Cheers,
Ed

We use Rhino, and it works well. If you do even a tiny bit of searching, you will be able to find it for just a little over $800. No annual maintenance, and great lifetime support. There are also a lot of plug-ins available that will make your Rhino quite versatile should you chose to do other things with it.

Dan

Thanks for any help.

Mr. Dweller,

Did you come up with any decision on a cad package? Members take the time to reply to posts and I'm sure most would like to see the thread come to some sort of conclusion and not just drift off into the cosmos.

Ed

Mr. Dweller,

Did you come up with any decision on a cad package? Members take the time to reply to posts and I'm sure most would like to see the thread come to some sort of conclusion and not just drift off into the cosmos.

Ed
i use Freecad version .14 now as i can run it from a usb flash drive on any computer without have to install it.
if he is like me he is probably trying software out. for myself i could spend 6 months easily learning cad software and still only know only 60% of what it can do.

Cubify Design DOES do assemblies. (Priced at $199)
Cubify Design does write stl files.
When you pull your assembly into a drawing you can generate a b.o.m.
Like any software package it does take time to learn, but it's worth it.
I love it, though I do miss having sheet metal capability.

Thanks for the correction Ed. I've been using GeoMagic Design for several years now and have apparently lost track of the features available in Cubify since they split it off from Alibre/GeoMagic Design a few years back. That's a lot of power for $200.

Mike

i use Freecad version .14 now as i can run it from a usb flash drive on any computer without have to install it.
if he is like me he is probably trying software out. for myself i could spend 6 months easily learning cad software and still only know only 60% of what it can do.

Good point, it does take quite a while to get up to speed. I have Freecad loaded on my pc, my impression was it needed more work before I'd commit to using it. I'd love to see them succeed, free cad is a great concept. I'll probably try it again in the near future.

Ed

Thanks for the correction Ed. I've been using GeoMagic Design for several years now and have apparently lost track of the features available in Cubify since they split it off from Alibre/GeoMagic Design a few years back. That's a lot of power for $200.

Mike

Mike,

I toyed with the idea of purchasing GeoMagic Design but, as I wasn't taking in any work, I couldn't really justify it. I was stunned at the functionality Cubify Design had to offer for $200 and decided to stick with it for my personal projects.

Ed

Good point, it does take quite a while to get up to speed. I have Freecad loaded on my pc, my impression was it needed more work before I'd commit to using it. I'd love to see them succeed, free cad is a great concept. I'll probably try it again in the near future.

Ed
freecad i had to watch the youtube tutorials to get the basics down. actually it works pretty good. the only problem i ever have is drawing mode and drafting are separate. it can take a 3d model and create 2d drawing view ok but if you want to pick corners and pull out dimensions it not there yet. in drafting mode you can do this.
......... if you copy 3d parts you can create a assembly and if you Boolean combine then in part mode then they will move together. it has a robot mode to create moving assemblies but i admit it needs more work on the assembly mode especially mates.
.......... still it is 3d cad and works off a usb flash drive without being installed and i use it everyday just because it is convenient. if a cnc machine is busy making chips i can draw any ideal that i want to draw out. a experimental fixture or a new tool. what ever come to mind.

freecad i had to watch the youtube tutorials to get the basics down. actually it works pretty good. the only problem i ever have is drawing mode and drafting are separate. it can take a 3d model and create 2d drawing view ok but if you want to pick corners and pull out dimensions it not there yet. in drafting mode you can do this.
......... if you copy 3d parts you can create a assembly and if you Boolean combine then in part mode then they will move together. it has a robot mode to create moving assemblies but i admit it needs more work on the assembly mode especially mates.
.......... still it is 3d cad and works off a usb flash drive without being installed and i use it everyday just because it is convenient. if a cnc machine is busy making chips i can draw any ideal that i want to draw out. a experimental fixture or a new tool. what ever come to mind.

I have .13 loaded on my pc. I did do a couple of the tutorials from the website with success. I never saw any of the youtube tutorials but will check them out. The portability via usb drive sounds great, bring it down to the local library and start designing.

freecad-13.jpg

Back