What's new
What's new

Identify machinist vise, will grip odd shapes

peter

Titanium
I buried this deep in another post. No response and I am curious to know more.

For instance, who might have made this. Are they common or valuable.

It seems handy. I forgot, I had it and never clean it off and tired it out.

Attachments

• GripShapes.jpg
    GripShapes.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 10,245
Looks like it was made by the same guy who likes to drill things not meant to be drilled, if you know what I mean.

I have no idea, but it looks handy.

Been trying to design something like this for a while, for holding multiple pieces with equal pressure. Didn't know you could buy anything like it. Want one.

That definitely is a unique vice. Am I seeing this correctly does each pair of "grippers" move independently in a swivel bracket and then two pair are themselves in a swivel bracket. I've taken the image and drawn red lines where I think it swivels on the left side. GripShapes.jpg
Harold

Last edited:
Obviously some sort of "self equalizing" vise. Once set up it would always find it's own center around the "circle" of the two larger moving jaws.

Well that is given that they're not open beyond their own center of rotation...

Maybe used to "slot" screw heads or similar work? 8 at a time?

Joe K

DSCN0137.jpg DSCN0138.jpg DSCN0139.jpg

Peter,
A vise made by "America Positive Grip Vise Corp." of Willimansett Mass.
Model 1000. It has 9 jaws on each side. A lever moves all the jaws to
an aligned position, then when you place an irregular shaped part in and
tighten the movable jaw the individual jaws conform to the shape. Works
very well on castings. I worked at a factory late 70's that had one. I
found this one on e-bay a few years ago and it gets bolted to the mill
table often. Could the one you have been made by the same company?
SPAETH

That definitely is a unique vice. Am I seeing this correctly does each pair of "grippers" move independently in a swivel bracket and then two pair are themselves in a swivel bracket. I've taken the image and drawn red lines

Yes at least those you circle in red do swivel. Beyond that it maybe (probably) you could draw 4 more red circles. It is like an infinite progression of imbedded circles.

Joe, Only 8 or maybe 1 or 2 also? I really should try this out.

spathe, I just saw your post. In addition to try to figure out how it works, I need to carefully look it over for a name. I was thinking it might grip an irregular shape.

WOW! You mean theirs two of them. I got mine about ten years ago at Englishtown dirt mall (flea market) for $30. Just took it off the mill 8 hours ago up at our railroad groups shop. gets used about once a month up there, very good to hold rough parts

Got a chance to look at it Sunday and the name on mine is Mantle & Company New York NY (sorry camera is dead no pictures) (MIckey was from the south so no relation?)

Got a chance to look at it Sunday and the name on mine is Mantle & Company New York NY (sorry camera is dead no pictures) (MIckey was from the south so no relation?)

Mantle was a large machine shop in the Bronx just east of the Harlem Division RR tracks. Large sign painted on the side of a building, maybe four stories. Haven't commuted on that train in many years.

Nice vise! Well there are at least two or three of them out there. Here is a link to picture of the one like it I own. I presume your's has the swivel base? I looks like only difference between the two is that your's has a screw in plates on top and mine does not. I wonder if that was added on by the previous owner?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/identity-unusual-mill-vise-184182/

A method of simultaneously clamping several workpieces is shown on fig 14, page 34 of Machinery's Yellow Back Series, #30 "Jig, Fixture and Clamp Design" published in GB in 1958, I am not suggesting that this was the origin of the idea.

As shown the method could be extended ad libitum but the number of workpieces must be a power of two.

Rich

It's called a fractal vice. It's specialty is to grip odd shapes.

View attachment 102971 View attachment 102972 View attachment 102976

Peter,
A vise made by "America Positive Grip Vise Corp." of Willimansett Mass.
Model 1000. It has 9 jaws on each side. A lever moves all the jaws to
an aligned position, then when you place an irregular shaped part in and
tighten the movable jaw the individual jaws conform to the shape. Works
very well on castings. I worked at a factory late 70's that had one. I
found this one on e-bay a few years ago and it gets bolted to the mill
table often. Could the one you have been made by the same company?
SPAETH

That's pretty cool. How much pressure do the jaws exert? Can you mill stuff with it...tiny passes or let er eat passes?

Plastic D,
I have machined many castings with this vise. Each jaw has serrations and they grip very well. I cannot recall any part that had slipped or moved while machining. Sometimes a little file or belt sander work was required to knock the seam or sprue off the raw casting to get a decent clamping spot. Usually used it on the BP but it has been mounted to the horizontal on occasion. A couple lite taps with the dead blow on the short handle and let her rip.
spaeth

Plastic D,
I have machined many castings with this vise. Each jaw has serrations and they grip very well. I cannot recall any part that had slipped or moved while machining. Sometimes a little file or belt sander work was required to knock the seam or sprue off the raw casting to get a decent clamping spot. Usually used it on the BP but it has been mounted to the horizontal on occasion. A couple lite taps with the dead blow on the short handle and let her rip.
spaeth

That's pretty damn cool...I wonder if I can get work to spring for one. We deal with a lot of odd shaped stuff, being a tool room at a foundry lol.

Looks like a great project for the fellow that bought a Jig Borer and is looking for something to do with it ;-)

Back