What's new
What's new

Kalamazoo Bandsaw help

cpberry1

Plastic
I just acquired a Kalamazoo horizontal bandsaw and am trying to get as much info as I can about it. I spoke with the Clausing folks and giving him the model number, which is clearly stamped 8160, resulted in him telling me that the last digit is a D for Dry saw, not a 0 - he said the technician probably just grabbed the wrong punch when handstamping it. (?) I then read him the serial number and he dated it to 1951 or 1952.
My question to the group is has anyone ever heard of a Kalamazoo 8160 horizontal bandsaw? It must be a rare one, because I have found exactly nothing online about it.
I have bought an 816 manual and will compare it to my saw when it arrives. For what it's worth the saw now has a pump and fluid reservoir on it but I'm not sure of its originality.
Thanks for any help and feel free to move this post if the saw is not antique enough.
Patrick

Patrick,

We have an 816S saw of similar vintage, and have always used it dry. It does a fine job, wants to be properly tuned so that it cuts straight, and the procedure is right in the Clausing manual. Pay particular attention to the rollers and the blade brushes that sweep the chips off the blade. Quality blades are key of course, designed for what you are cutting with it. Clausing still stocks all the parts, which for a machine over 50 years old is quite remarkable.

Jeff

I have an 816C and have a manual for it. Mine is used dry also. I don't cut enough to bother with coolant.
I am impressed with how square it will cut. I have cut 12" channels square within 1/32" and cut them for 1/2 day at a time a d still within same tolerance.

Back