What's new
What's new

LARGE ATW Lathe Needs Saving!

blondgoddess

Plastic
My father has a large lathe from American Tool Works and I am Executor of his estate. The lathe had been used in the building of the WAC Bennett Dam (intake and spillway gates) and was purchased by my grandfather around 1963 before the dam building had begun. It has been outside for a number of years.

The merchant & manufacturer is stated on the front left part of the lathe:
The machine merchant: Perine Machinery Co. Machinery Merchants Seattle Washington
The manufacturer: American Tool Works Co. of Cincinatti, Ohio

The dimensions of the machine are: 4.5' wide, 10' height, 35' long.
A few people have tried to guess the weight... possibly 10-20 tons.

The only description I have of it is:
Huge 40' w/ 42" swing Lathe

I've tried to look it up and the age of it appears to be from 1912-1919. It looks the most similar to a 42" High Duty Lathe from the 1921 product catalogue (page 43 - see attached). I have pictures I can send as it doesn't appear I can attach pictures here.

The lathe is located in Fort St. John, BC Canada. Would anyone be interested in? I need to move it within 2 weeks !!!
You can email me at [email protected]
Cheers, Lisa

Attachments

• Old Lathe.jpg
    Old Lathe.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 7,391
  • old lathe2.jpg
    old lathe2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 899
  • old lathe3.jpg
    old lathe3.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 738
Last edited by a moderator:
You can post photos on an edit or a reply. They have to be less than 97Kb and you have to scroll down to Manage Attachments on the post typing up page and follow through.

J.O.

Not an interested party, just curious.
Would I be correct in guessing that the machine swings a little more than 42" now. It looks as though there are riser blocks everywhere.
How would one use a cutting tool in that? Spin the part backwards? The toolpost appears to be even with the bottom of the chuck.

Not an interested party, just curious.
Would I be correct in guessing that the machine swings a little more than 42" now. It looks as though there are riser blocks everywhere.
How would one use a cutting tool in that? Spin the part backwards? The toolpost appears to be even with the bottom of the chuck.
the third picture shows a couple risers for the crosslide (they are resting on the inner ways.) either way "what a beast." I ran a 1902 model in the early 80's to make cable drums for 70 ton dam gates. the lathe was converted to electricity with a motor and an mac truck transmission, another "beast"

Back