What's new
What's new

The Cycletow - Streamlining Automotive Service in Exclusive Hollywood, Caifornia

t-head

Cast Iron
ct1.jpg

A rider above with his Harley-Davidson hitched to the bumper of a wealthy patron's Packard in the exclusive city, is ready to bring the car in for service. The rider below and his Cycletow on his way to pick up another car. See many more photos and learn all about this clever innovation on The Old Motor.

ct6.jpg

Thank you for posting this thread and the pictures. As we've oft said: "Nothing new, under the sun." As people of my generation (the "baby boomers") age out and want to keep riding motorcycles, the idea of the "articulated training wheels" has re-surfaced. I've seen a few motorcycles outfitted with aftermarket "training wheels", and spoken to one rider who had reached the point where he could not rely on his legs to hold the bike up at stoplights and in parking situations. These "training wheel" setups use automotive wheels, and shock absorbers, along with a linkage that allows the bike to lean when taking curves. Basically the same concept as the Cycle Tow.

When I was a kid, in the 1950's, in Brooklyn, NY, H-D three-wheelers were all over the place. The three-wheelers were in use by various local businesses for delivery purposes. All of them had a kind of "box body" in which merchandise or tools could be hauled. There were several "ignition shops" (shops which rebuilt distributors) and "automotive electric shops" (shops rebuilding generators and starters), and "carburetor shops" along with a big distributor of auto parts. These shops used three wheelers (H-D's I think) to make deliveries and pickups. A garage might need a generator or starter for a customer's car, so would call it in. A man on a three-wheeler made the rounds, handling core-exchanges on rebuilt units, and picking up or dropping off specialized parts where there was no core exchange. Coca-Cola bottling had a few of the three wheelers running around as well, as did one local pharmacy.

A local repair garage did have a three wheeler which they sent out on road service calls. Mostly, this was to bring a booster battery and jump start customers' cars, bring a can of gasoline, or do minor curbside repairs. By that point in time, nearly all the repair garages and gas stations had picked up WWII surplus Jeeps as their service vehicles. The Jeeps had home-made "push plates" on the front, with pieces of old tires as "softeners". In the 50's most of the cars still had manual transmissions, so a push start for a car with a weak battery or bad starting motor was often the way to get a customer's car going. Couldn't do that with a 3 wheel cycle. The Jeeps sported home-made plywood cabs (winters in Brooklyn and being parked on the streets took a toll on the the GI issue rag tops). A slushy day in Brooklyn was not a good time to be out and about on a 3 wheel cycle. Most of the Jeeps also had some kind of snow plow hoist, and did additional duty pushing snow off the station lots. The gas station owners and their mechanics were resourceful. A Jeep could do a lot more than a three-wheel cycle, so it was a no brainer, and the 3 wheelers vanished quickly.

I took the three wheelers for granted, then they were gone before anyone realized it. The last serious application of three wheeled cycles was for parking meter patrols in various cities. I think H-D offered their three-wheelers for police work into the early 60's, and that was the end of the line. Cushman offered a three-wheeler in competition with the 3 wheeled cycles. The downside of the three wheeled cycles was they were not the most stable or roadworthy thing around. Kind of a fooler, since many people- seeing three wheels instead of two- think a motorcycle is less stable and has the poorer road handling. Oldtimers who drove the three wheelers in service for businesses have told me the three wheelers were mainly a low-speed vehicle. Get them on a back road and take a curve with any kind of speed, and they were apt to lift a rear wheel or roll. The last three wheeler I saw in actual work was in Utica, NY in about 1985, on parking meter patrol. There was no mistaking it as a 3 wheeled cycle- not a three wheeled Cushman. Cushman, having smaller wheels and a lower center of gravity and a "step thru" type of frame was a more user friendly proposition. Vespa and Lambretta- the Italian motor scooter builders- also offered three wheelers. These all were built as serious working vehicles. My belief is the three wheeled scooters hung on longer, mostly for work like ice cream vendors or as a novelty used by some businesses.

At the Antique Motorcycle Club meet in Rhinebeck, NY, there are always a few of the three wheeled service vehicles. These are restored and have the "flip up" tow bars. It was a different era when a garage would send a man out in a uniform including a necktie, to go bring in a customer's car. Of course, back then, cars COULD be towed without a second thought. No front wheel drive transaxle or automatic tranny to worry about. No chintzy plastic air dams and energy absorbing plastic shelled bumpers. Plenty of structural steel to clamp a tow bar to and drag a car off of. Today's answer is the tilt bed truck. Send out one man with a tilt bed, as it is about all that can handle today's cars. Instead of a uniformed mechanic on a spit shined service cycle, you get a tilt bed, generally with chrome wheel centers and plenty of wild paint work, and a driver who may be in a tee shirt. Instead of a driver with an order pad and carbon paper, you get a driver with a computer in the cab and equipment to take your credit card. Of course, cars have changed drastically. In the days of the Cycle Tow or the Servi-Cars or Service Cycles, a mechanic COULD do a LOT of repairs on the scene to get a customer's car going. File and re-gap a set of points, put in a set of points, change spark plugs (if a customer did not work the choke properly and fouled out the plugs), start a car that a customer had "flooded the engine" on, tighten or replace a fan belt, dress contact points in the voltage regulator and flash the field, put a new diaphragm in a fuel pump, clean out the carburetor sediment bowl and clean the jets...... Basically, in those days, short of something major breaking in the engine or driveline, a mechanic could do a lot of roadside repairs and get a customer's car going again. With today's cars, the odds of fixing much of anything by the roadside are almost nil. The odds of a mechanic being able to troubleshoot using his ears, eyes, fingertips and instincts are also almost nil. Now, it is a case of flatbed the car into the shop, plug it into the computer, get the codes and follow a "fault tree" as to what parts to change out. It's like Star Wars when compared to the days of the Cycle Tow and the mechanics who went with it.

In another thread, I recalled the old chain drive AC series Mack Trucks on the streets when I was a kid. Seeing and recollecting about it makes me realize how far things have come in my own life. We had fruit and vegetable peddlers with horse-drawn wagons, we had horse-drawn junk wagons, and Divco milk delivery trucks all on the streets when I was a kid, along with the old chain drive Macks and the three-wheeled cycles. No novelty to any of it, we took it for granted. In fact, we took it so much for granted most of us did not realize any of it was gone until those vehicles started turning up at antique and vintage shows. I won;t say I feel old, 'cause I don't. I still ride the same 1978 BMW R 100/7 motorcycle I bought new. It still has the original ignition system- coil and points, and it still has the original carburetors. It has solid valve lifters, so I check and adjust the valve lash. It has the "laced" wire spoke wheels, like the Cycle Tow in the picture. I "ping" or "sound" the spokes to check their tension when I maintain the bike. It has Timken roller bearings in the wheels and swingarm pivots- another vanishing thing. New motorcycles use sealed ball barings in the wheels (maybe it is cost effective, maybe they figure to eliminate a potential liability by eliminating the need for mechanics/owners to set the preloads or repack bearings ?), and they use plastic bushings in the swingarm pivots. It's a combination of a "throw away" design and a combination of making things so no mechanic's skill or instincts are needed.

I enjoy having a machine I know intimately and can work on. It has taken me through my life, and I've had it longer than I've been married (32 years) and longer than I worked for the Power Authority (retired from them after 32 years). My wife calls it our "heirloom bike" that will pass to our son. It's not a creampuff or show bike, but a daily rider and workhorse. Back in the days of the Cycle Tow and the Service Cycle or Servi-Car, the motorcycle was still regarded as a working vehicle and not a weekend toy to be ridden only in fair weather on hard paved roads. Being a mechanic was an honorable calling, and it all fit together with the times. As much as we've gained and progressed over the years since the days of the Cycle Tow, we've lost or "watered down" quite a bit in our society. Seeing the way the mechanic on the Cycle Tow was dressed kind of hammers it all home. Thanks again for posting.

While I disagree with your assessment that new cars are harder to diagnose (actually I think they are easier, since there is less to go wrong and the ECU does a pretty good job of keeping track of things for you), I totally agree that it's a shame that "Being a mechanic was an honorable calling, and it all fit together with the times." is no longer true.

That's the reason I went back to college instead of staying in that profession. You can make a lot of money as a good tech, but you will unfortunately be looked down on.

Anyone know who made the motorcycle? I don't recall seeing 1930's American single cylinders bikes, but I guess they were made.

I thought the full fender skirts (valences?) were a 1950's Indian styling feature, but someone beat them to it - advertising boards!

Peter:

I believe you are seeing an Indian single cylinder machine. The horn looks "Indian", as does the front suspension. It is interesting that a single cylinder machine would be used for this application. H-D used 45 cu inch vee twins in their 3 wheel automotive service trikes. Indian also used a side valve vee twin. Now that you pointed out the fact the engine is a single, it has my curiosity going. I suppose, if Butch Baer is at Rhinebeck this year, I'll ask him. Mr. Baer is in his 80's, still riding Indians, and still exhibiting them at Rhinebeck. Mr. Baer was brought home from the hospital as a new-born infant in a sidecar attached to his father, Fritzie's, Indian. Fritzie Baer ran the Indian factory dealership in Springfield, MA, and Butch grew up around the Indian factory and was a factory team racer right to the end of Indian in Springfield, MA (ca 1952-53). Butch is the man to ask, and my wife and I will be at Rhinebeck for the Antique Motorcycle Club of America's meet there. There are plenty of Indians on display, and plenty of Indian restorers, but Butch Baer is the man, having literally come into the world around Indian Motocycles.

Indian was IT for the valenced fenders as far as I know. H-D and Excelsior (the only serious competitor, in my humble opinion, to Indian and H-D) never went in for the valenced fenders. This was some of Indian's styling. Gotta love those old motorcycles. As I tell my wife, they may be wonderful to look at, but God help the person who has to ride one over any distance. With hard tail suspension and girder front end suspension, foot clutch and tank shift, and weak brakes and weak headlights, I'll take a more modern machine. I was at the H-D dealers today to pick up a rear brake light switch for my 2005 HD Dyna Low Rider ( laugh all you like, Jim Rozen, 'cause the mechanical brake light switch on my 1978 BMW has never let me down). The Hog shop has a number of antique H-D's in the showroom, and one was a WWI era machine. Prestolite acetylene cylinder strapped across the handlebars and a "Solar" acetylene headlight that looked like it fell off a steam locomotive. All I could think of was what it must've been like to get caught on dirt or gravel (read: "improved") roads at night on a machine like that. I think of what the riders of years ago took for granted as good motorcycle designs and equipment. The guy with the acetylene headlight probably thought the 6 volt headlight on the bikes of the 'twenties into the 'fifties was a great step up. We'd think we needed a flashlight to find our way with the 6 volt headlight vs the halogen 12 volt headlights we take for granted. We think a two lane blacktop road with unbanked curves and no marked shoulders (fog lines) is a bad road, but the guy on that cycle tow would think he was on a highway. Lots has changed over the years. Who could imagine asking a mechanic to shine a pair of riding boots let alone wear them along with a necktie ? I remember when gas station attendants still wore uniforms with bowties and "uniform" or military style caps.
Park near a high school or church and look at what people wear to school or church. The whole sense of propriety (for want of a better word) seems to be off the table, and anything goes. Wife and I pulled up to a NYS Thruway toll on Easter Sunday (going to Easter dinner with friends). The toll booth attendant was "rocking out" to some way out music. She had a lower lip piercing that may as well have been a small shackle, and a bunch of tattoos. Wife and I sport a few piercings, but nothing that obvious. Wife remarked to me as to how times have changed, and how a toll booth attendant can show up with a shackle in her lip and enough ink to finance her local tattoo artist's retirement. Time was toll booth attendants had to wear uniforms and could not have music blasting, let alone showing off body art. Wife and I are free spirited people, but my wife said this was going past all reasonable bounds. Looking at the fellow on that "Cycle Tow", nearly groomed and uniformed, my wife has a point. Maybe the pendulum has swung too far.

Indian made a 3-wheeled scout 45 cu in version called a Dispatch Tow one with a small box and large box. They also made chief version was called a Service Car that could have various bed configurations. They were handy for parts running, carry some tools of fuel to get a customer going again.

That's the reason I went back to college instead of staying in that profession. You can make a lot of money as a good tech, but you will unfortunately be looked down on.

Not by me. I have a couple of basic principles- in some place like a restaurant someone is mopping the floor, I step aside and let him or her do the job. I tell them that I try never to interfere with anyone earning an honest living. The world needs more trash collectors than brain surgeons and I never look down on them or anyone else doing his job, no matter how menial.

Bill

The bike is definitely a Harley single, probably a little earlier than '32, but close because it has a front brake and drop center wheels. Indian last used the flat lensed headlight in 1930, but Harley may have continued it a little longer. The fender skirts started on Indians in 1940. The front suspension is Harley Springer. The other thing that looks Indian is the towbar. The horn is generic. Indian used a sort bell Klaxon through '30 and changed to the "featherface" in '31. My '40 has a featherface.

The three wheelers did not steer like a normal motorcycle at all and the three wheel Vespa was just plain frightening. If you hit the brakes in a sharp turn, you would be lucky to survive. The sidecar bikes were another different story. They can be fun if rigged right, but one of the worst rides of my life was when one of our club had a heart attack near Hannibal (home of Mark Twain) and we put my Indian on a pickup and I rode the Harley sidehack home. I had to hold constant pressure on the handlebars to keep it on the road and if I got over 40 MPH, the handlebars turned into a blur from the vibration. No wonder the owner had a heart attack.

Re hardtails, I'm 78 and ride the '40 Indian Junior Scout in my avatar whenever the weather permits. The sprung seat does a lot to moderate road shock. I rode that bike to Fort Mott, New Jersey, collecting a ridden longest distance trophy thereby. Several of us were hanging around a motel when Bruce Linsey from Cleveland showed up on a '36 Harley. When he saw me, he knew that he had lost the trophy. Bruce is much too nice a guy to get huffy about something like that, but he didn't have much to say for a while.

I rode my '41 model 741 Army Indian through most of the Eastern states and up into Canada a couple of times. In 1975 three of us with Indians rode from Brownsville to Panajachel Guatemala and back.

Re computers in cars, one time I came out of a store to find a police officer taking a picture of the Junior. As I came up, he said that he didn't see many '40 Indians. When I asked how he knew it was a '40, he said "I ran your plate."

When I was a boy, three wheel Harleys towed by cars being delivered from garages were common. Police used a lot of them for parking meter patrol. One lives next door. The owner bought it from Overland, MO. When he tried to remove it, they refused to let it out with "City of Overland Police" on the box, so he sanded letters off until they were satisfied. Now it says "City of Verla Lice".

I remember the Mack chain drive trucks well. The City of St. Louis had a lot of them in the street department. Along with chain drive, they had solid rear tires. When I was two or three, the weird scooped out front end looked like some sort of demon to me and I was afraid to get near them.

Bill

Thank you for posting this thread and the pictures. As we've oft said: "Nothing new, under the sun." As people of my generation (the "baby boomers") age out and want to keep riding motorcycles, the idea of the "articulated training wheels" has re-surfaced. I've seen a few motorcycles outfitted with aftermarket "training wheels", and spoken to one rider who had reached the point where he could not rely on his legs to hold the bike up at stoplights and in parking situations. These "training wheel" setups use automotive wheels, and shock absorbers, along with a linkage that allows the bike to lean when taking curves. Basically the same concept as the Cycle Tow.

The only thing those you speak of have in common with the cycle tow is the number and location of the wheels.

The Cycle Tow takes the rear wheel off the ground to allow it to be pulled by the car. Not at all a set of wheels that is to stay down while the bike is being ridden.

Helped a guy get his Gold Wing back upright when he couldn't. Probably a good candidate for training wheels.

Cheers
Trev

I rode my '41 model 741 Army Indian through most of the Eastern states and up into Canada a couple of times.

Bill,

I don't know much about Indians but there were (are?) a lot of 741b Scouts in New Zealand. There were several thousand (5000?) "Army Indians" sold here after WW2. There was an army surplus shop named Valentines in Hamilton who were still selling parts when I visited in the 1970's as a schoolboy.

The only thing those you speak of have in common with the cycle tow is the number and location of the wheels.

The Cycle Tow takes the rear wheel off the ground to allow it to be pulled by the car. Not at all a set of wheels that is to stay down while the bike is being ridden.

Helped a guy get his Gold Wing back upright when he couldn't. Probably a good candidate for training wheels.

Cheers
Trev

OK, that answers something I wondered about. The side wheels could not be even with the rear wheel because on a low spot in the road, the driving wheel would lose traction. If you had the side wheels raised a bit, the bike would steer like a two wheeler until a side wheel touched the ground, then steer like a three wheeler. A two wheeler needs to keep the center of gravity directly above a line connecting the contact points of the wheels on the ground. To turn one, you actually steer in the opposite direction to move the contact line out from under the CG until it is leaning to align with the vector sum of centrifugal force and gravity, then you steer in the direction of the turn and reverse the procedure when you have turned enough. On three wheels, you just steer in the direction you want, like a car. Something that kept switching between the two modes would be a real bummer. I have never ridden anything with training wheels, but I would not want to be going very fast on one.

A friend told about knowing someone who was so uncoordinated that he kept wrecking cars, so he changed to a motor scooter on the theory that it would do less damage when it ran into something. That ended when he came to a stoplight, put out his right foot, and leaned to the left.

Bill

Bill,

I don't know much about Indians but there were (are?) a lot of 741b Scouts in New Zealand. There were several thousand (5000?) "Army Indians" sold here after WW2. There was an army surplus shop named Valentines in Hamilton who were still selling parts when I visited in the 1970's as a schoolboy.

A stock 741 is a real stone dog (stone dogs don't move). The best explanation for producing them was that the army didn't want soldiers killing themselves. Nobody wanted them and they were left all over the globe. One of the last batches went to the Polish army. I met a WWII motorcycle scout who pointed out that when you were on a motorcycle, you weren't scouting because everyone knew where you were and either had their heads down or shooting at you. Radios and jeeps negated the messenger role, so about all they were good for was MPs patrolling a base. The war department quit buying them well before the end of the war.

The engine is basically a 37 cu. in. layout and the 45s are factory stroke jobs. The 741 went the other way by making the cylinder walls thicker and using 30.5 cu. in. pistons. If you want to ride one, the first thing you do is bore the cylinders 1/4", turning it into a 37" engine as it was supposed to be. That gives a 25% increase in displacement and a 25% increase in compression, up to 5:1 from 4:1. That still doesn't make it a stellar performer, but rideable.

The front fork is extended and the rear frame section is tipped down to make more ground clearance, which also makes it a strange handling bike. When I got mine running, I got on a large parking lot with nothing to hit and worked out the handling. Once I had it figured out, I did a lot of miles in all kinds of conditions and it never put me on the ground.

Bill

The 741 is a military version of a JR Scout 30.50 motor, think the 1st ones were made in 1932 was also called a Monoplane. I have early jr scout (no s/n) that was raced, with screw in gas n oil caps, it didn't end well as I had to spend a 100 hours straightening the front forks. one of these years it will be alive again, unfortunately parts have been robbed from it. I do have a 741 motor on a small skid as it was new, never run. lots of projects!

Actually, the 741 is a derated 640 Scout. Except for having the same general layout, the Junior and 741 have little in common. The 640 and 741 use the same transmission and wet clutch. The Junior has a dry clutch and a much lighter transmission. You can swap the rear frame sections between the 640 and 741 and a 741 engine and transmission unit will bolt up in a 640 frame with no modifications. The 45 in engine will fit the 741 frame if you notch the cylinder fins to clear the frame tubes. The Junior has very few parts that interchange. I suppose the story about the 741's derivation got started because of the same displacements and writers who don't bother to check facts keep repeating it, so it now is enshrined in print. I have both and a 1930 45 in 101 Scout as well as a 45 Sport Scout engine so I can easily compare them.

The following is straight from Ted Hodgden who was in charge of advertising at Indian, in a conversation at the Davenport meet in the mid 1970s.

The Indian crew was driving back from a race that they lost and one of them wished they had a lighter bike with a 45 engine. Hodgden suggested they hang a 45 engine in a Junior Scout. They did and marketed it as the "Motoplane". Garon Linn (probably spelled wrong) was an Indian dealer at the time and described the Motoplane as a "real roach". The smaller driveline couldn't cope with the greater torque and just came apart.

The origin of the Junior was the 21 in single called the "Prince", which was a knockoff of a Velocette they bought to copy. Lee Cowie says it was an AJS. They may have been associated, I don't know much about English motorcycle history. Anyway, Indian decided they needed more power, so they made the 30.50 twin more or less on the 37 in Scout pattern, but a different crankcase and retaining the Prince driveline. I have not given my Junior the 37 in treatment because it has a hard enough with the present engine. I broke one of those dinky primary chains in Ohio. Fortunately I had a spare along. OTOH, the heavier triple row chain on my 741 has never given a bit of trouble despite having run many more miles.

The main legacy of the Prince/Junior Scout is the gawdawful keystone frame. My 101 has a twin tube cradle frame and I can pull the engine-gearbox in 45 minutes. If you set out to do the same thing on one of the keystone framed bikes, better send out for pizza because it is going to be a long day.

When the War Department cancelled orders for new bikes, the Indian management thought the parts orders still stood and went on making them. It turned out the military didn't want them either, so Indian had a huge pile of left over parts. In the 70s you could buy a new 741 engine for $75, and I did, one engine only and one engine-transmission unit, both of which I still have. I gave $125 for the second unit and had to drive way out in the country to get it. On the way home, my girlfriend at the time said "I can see it now. Someday a couple of young guys will be talking about you, saying that old man wants $6000 for the engine and everyone knows it isn't worth 3 or 4000." Someday is here and I have seen one of these engines advertised for $6000. I don't think it sold.

Bill

OK, that answers something I wondered about. The side wheels could not be even with the rear wheel because on a low spot in the road, the driving wheel would lose traction. If you had the side wheels raised a bit, the bike would steer like a two wheeler until a side wheel touched the ground, then steer like a three wheeler. A two wheeler needs to keep the center of gravity directly above a line connecting the contact points of the wheels on the ground. To turn one, you actually steer in the opposite direction to move the contact line out from under the CG until it is leaning to align with the vector sum of centrifugal force and gravity, then you steer in the direction of the turn and reverse the procedure when you have turned enough. On three wheels, you just steer in the direction you want, like a car. Something that kept switching between the two modes would be a real bummer. I have never ridden anything with training wheels, but I would not want to be going very fast on one.

A friend told about knowing someone who was so uncoordinated that he kept wrecking cars, so he changed to a motor scooter on the theory that it would do less damage when it ran into something. That ended when he came to a stoplight, put out his right foot, and leaned to the left.

Bill
In the picture behind the car, you can see the rear wheel is clear of the ground, if you look at it with that in mind.
Same with the patent drawings.

There was a sidecar manufacturer that went by the name FLXI, IIRC, that built hacks that tilted along with the bike, as it went around corners. Recall seeing a magazine article about them a long while back. Looked like fun!

I guess there wasn't enough misery in my life, early on, because I had a real dig on for Brit bikes and old bikes in general, for a lot of years. Wish I had bought some of the bikes I thought I would be able to afford later, then!

Cheers
Trev

Ben Chesney had a Flexi. One of the interesting characteristics was that you could get it leaned so far that you couldn't get back up, so you had to put a foot against the frame and push it up, or so I was told. I never got to ride it. At one time I extracted a first refusal from him, but the Ottaways offered him more that he thought I would, so it went to them. The company was still in business until 1995, making the Grumman Flxible bus (not misspelled). New York City bought a bunch of them and they were so bad that they to borrow busses from other cities to keep their system running. Around then I got an request for a device to convert 24 Volts DC to 12 because they had a 24 volt system for starting the engine but could not get legal headlights in 24 V. I made a unit that stole power from the AC in the alternator, transformed it to 12 VAC and regulated it with a saturable reactor. The unit was nearly bulletproof. About the only way you could damage it was by physical impact or connecting it to the battery backwards, which would blow the output rectifiers. It would deliver 70 amps at 12 VDC and if shorted, would just shut down to just a couple of amps output. When you removed the short, it would go back to charging. To cope with the 6:1 frequency ratio of the AC the transformer had a hexafilar winding of #8 square wire, one of my more demanding winding jobs. I got the unit ready to test but their engineering department was so f-----d up that they were never able to arrange it. I still have it, mostly because I can't bear to scrap it after investing so much time and money. They never asked for their alternator back, a big oil cooled unit that I mounted with a Reeves drive to vary the speed. They went out of business and I finally sold the alternator to a transformer core manufacturer for their test facility. The $750 I got for it is all I had to show for months of development.

Bill

Back