What's new
What's new

series 1 interact w/ TNC151B

John.t.little1

Aluminum
I traded a guy my old four wheeler for a Lathe and this Bridgeport. the lathe was hooked up and running but the mill wasn't hooked to power just in his storage unit. i still feel like if i had to invest a little in the mill id be ahead on the deal so not upset at all if he lied about it working. i am moving the mill into my shop this weekend and curious about hooking up power. I do not have 3PH yet nor a rotary converter I did read in a thread i think it was ******* where you can hook up 220 and see if the control and table work is this true? anyone have any insight for me? -John

Mill1.jpgMill2.jpgMill3.jpg

I do not have 3PH yet nor a rotary converter. you can hook up 220 and see if the control and table work is this true? anyone have any insight for me? -John

Yes, you can.

Manuals are available by free download from Heidenhain. The manuals you need are the Operating Manual for Heidenhain TNC 151b, which is also the programming manual, and Mounting Instructions and Interface Circuit-Machine for the Heidenhain TNC 151B Contouring control, which has the list of parameters and explanations for each one.

Look in the wiring box on the side of the machine and find the 2 input terminals that feed the servo amplifiers. Hook those up to 220 single phase (while paying attention to voltage limits) and turn it on. Check the way lube level in the one shot lube and make sure the e-stop buttons are open. (Twist counterclockwise and allow them to pop out. If they don't pop out, they're already out.) They're all in the same control loop so the error message for all 3 is the same.

Once the correct voltage is applied at the terminals, operate the one-shot lube (maybe a couple times) turn the power switch on and wait for the screen to power up. The control will perform a memory check, and if the parameters are still present, a power interrupted error message. Press the CE switch (for Clear Error or Clear Entry) to clear the power interrupted error, then the yellow servoamp on switch. You should hear the sound of a relay engaging, then three lines on the monitor should show. Pass over Z axis reference, pass over Y axis reference, pass over x axis reference. Keep pressing the green button till all three axes are homed, then you can switch modes to program/edit, manual operation, dry run, etc.

If your parameters are gone, you won't get this far. It'll tell you if that's the case, and it'll also tell you if the batteries that maintain the parameters when the power is off are low. Anyway, check back here when you've got as far as you can get, then you can learn how to save your parameters. Very important.

Did you get any manuals or parameter list with the machine? Tooling?

Great machine, BTW.

Neil

Mr. Neil I did get two manuals and a folder with what looks like a print out of a different manual. manuals are ; Bridgeport series 1 interact maintenance manual, TNC programming examples, mounting instructions and interchange circuit control machine Heidenhain TNC 145C, and the print out says service manual data interfaces at the bottom of the pages. no tooling came with it I do think ill call and see if he had anything he forgot that went with machine. I will be hooking the machine up to power monday like you said and will post back with results. Thank you-John

John,

Great idea to power it up as soon as possible.

The parameters list for my 151a is considerably different than that for the 151b, so can't imagine that the 145c list will be adequate. Anyway, firing it up and seeing if you have parameters is the first test.

You'll need the operating manual when you start programming. It's 200+ pages and you'll refer to it often, for quite a while.

Another really nice feature of this machine is that Heidenhain still supports it and phone calls are free. Programming classes are free too, but you'd have to travel to Illinois to take them, which ain't free. So the resources are there to get it up and running.

neil

the parameters from a 145 will not work

there are parameter lists google "bridgeport heidenhain parameter lists" if you need one, but you will need to tweek the XYZ axis limits

only the spindle needs three phase AFAIK

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

These are some pictures of it I'm not positive on what wires /servo amp you were talking about. Can you tell me from the picture? I could really use a wiring schematic haha

Ok I hooked 220 up to the black and blue wires coming out of the kill switch. The 151 powers up but once I get the cross over "xyz" axis and hit the green and yellow buttons nothing happenes. Also when I try to go from x to y or z it says key input invalid.

Gustafson i will check that tomorrow i know the emo knob is working i tested it with my multi meter and when it depressed i get a dc power error. could i have the wiring wrong?

Steve,

Another thought. When we talked yesterday, you said you were getting only 24V at the servo enable/yellow button. According to the thread, there should be 110V there, too. If so, the 110V source is missing. Could be any number of reasons why it's not getting there. Time to get familiar with the schematic, alas.:(

Gustafson ... i know the emo knob is working .... when it depressed i get a dc power error. could i have the wiring wrong?

What Gustafson is referring to as an emo string is a lot of safety features (fuses, thermal switches, etc) wired in series with that yellow button. All of them have to be working correctly in order for voltage to reach that button. So finding all those devices and making sure they're all OK is the task. It's possible, but very unlikely that the wiring is wrong.

Neil

So I chased a few wires today and they were good I will continue tomorrow. Oil tank is pretty full, I did see that my table was all the way to the left and figured I should check the limit switch and sure enough it was on top of it. So the only way I knew how to solve the problem was unscrew the limit switch. Once I did that the X axis went from being highlighted to nothing being highlighted. Everything else is as it was and nothings working yet. More to come tomorrow.

So I chased a few wires today and they were good I will continue tomorrow. Oil tank is pretty full, I did see that my table was all the way to the left and figured I should check the limit switch and sure enough it was on top of it. So the only way I knew how to solve the problem was unscrew the limit switch. Once I did that the X axis went from being highlighted to nothing being highlighted. Everything else is as it was and nothings working yet. More to come tomorrow.

Work on the emo string. Once the servos can be powered up, the table can be moved off the limit switch manually.

Mr. Neil I did get two manuals and a folder with what looks like a print out of a different manual. manuals are ; Bridgeport series 1 interact maintenance manual, TNC programming examples, mounting instructions and interchange circuit control machine Heidenhain TNC 145C, and the print out says service manual data interfaces at the bottom of the pages. no tooling came with it I do think ill call and see if he had anything he forgot that went with machine. I will be hooking the machine up to power monday like you said and will post back with results. Thank you-John
Do you have a copy of the Bridgeport interact series 1 maintenance manual

Do you have a copy of the Bridgeport interact series 1 maintenance manual
Holy Thread revival, i think i got one with mine, i'll check when i get home. I've seen them online for ~£20. Lots of Series 2 for free online but no Series 1

Thanks

Alex

Back