What's new
What's new

DNC versus using memory sticks

conceptdevelopers

Cast Iron
I program for a shop with 2 newer Hurco mills and a Hurco lathe. We also have an older leadwell and a real old new brittian mill. We currently use use memory sticks and cards to transfer data. I have been looking into coming out of the old world and hard wiring everything and storing it on the server for document control. The Hurco rep was in the day and told the GM that the best way to transfer programs was thru the sticks. It set me back. I have never worked anywhere ,besides my home shop, that wasn't "hardwired".

Am I uniformed or does this hurco guy not know what he's talking about.

Would some of you wise men , or women , please opine so I might have other thoughts besides my own?

Thanx

Steve

Transferring programs on a stick is the last way I would want to do it. You said they're newer machines, so you should be able to find an ethernet connection. Hook up, get the IP address, and drop your code right in the controller over the network. There may be an optional data server on the machines, which is helpful, but it's not necessary. You can transfer code to the controller with an FTP program.

Dan

Back