What's new
What's new

Help with tool offsets in BobCAD

swatkins

Titanium
I have been slogging through the BobCAD program trying to learn how to draw and program parts for my Bridgeport Boss retro fit. Tonight I though I had it all figured out but when I ran the simulator on my simple part I see that the tools are cutting on the inside of the part instead of the exterior of the part.

I figure I could figure out a "fix" but I would really like to know the correct way to have this set up..

The part is a simple bracket . I am using a 2 x 4.5 x 1/2" piece of stock and all that really needs to be milled is a radius on one end and three 1/4" through holes.

Could anyone comment on the correct way to make the tool cut on the outside of the part? I could not upload the file to PM but I have linked to it on my server. Part file download.

Thanks for any comments...

Try right clicking on the geometry tab on your operation tree and select reverse. I think it's reverse or something like that I'm just going off the top of my head and I don't use Bob often anymore. The other option is to switch the side of the tool your using.
Jordy

No, you're spot on Jorgo. Reverse will flip the direction of the milling geometry. It's found in different places in different versions but this is what it looks like in V26:

swatikins_bracket.jpg

A couple notes to point you in the right direction. You can select the top surface of the part as your milling geometry but it's going to mill every edge on it, including your holes. If you wanted to only mill the outside of the part, when selecting your geometry hover your mouse over one of the outside edges until it highlights and right click. "Constant Z" will grab all the geometry on that Z plane that is contiguous to that entity. Right click OK or hit space bar to lock it in. Then click "Default Chain Start Point" to see which direction the contour is going and where it starts/stops. Reverse if necessary, modify start point if necessary.

However, you only want to mill the radius on the end. In that case, remove all your geometry and this time only select the EDGE of the radius. Again, make sure the direction arrow is pointing correctly and you should be good to go.

If you need further clarification, just ask. It takes a bit to get the method down but it will come.

Guys thanks for all the help.. RIM I'll take a look at the file when I get back to the shop. Thanks for your help again .

Getting used to bobcad is a big change for me. Have a lot of years of house design cad and generic cad so it's hard to break habits ( like space bar for last functuon) and I don't want to get started with bad habits. .

This my first official project with bobcad and so far its been ok.. I bought the program just a few months ago and have been checking out the menus and functions.. only thing that really sucks is I bought v 26 and just a short time later v 27 is out..

Back