What's new
What's new

Pro/E

Dimitri

Titanium
We are going to be using this in my college for Tool and Die the whole 2 years so I was wondering what the cost would be for it ??

Since I'm told learning how to us Pro/E is really important for our program since its going to be intergrated in CNC machining as well as other things I thought about getting a copy of it for home use.

The only referance to a cost I could find is from Tri-Star and they bundle it with a laptop for 7,000$ US. :eek:

Thanks in advance for any replies :D

Dimitri

+/- 5,000 basic commercial license.

over 20,000 for advanced options and manufacturing (toolpath).

200-300 student license. (no manufacturing IfIRecallCcorrectly)

Free 1 year Demos are available.

monthly rental of license modules available.

sounds like you want the student. you can pick it up at journey-ed.com It will get you tyhe modeling software but not the manufacturing (IIRC)

I have bought old student editions of it with Mechanica off ebay for less than $100. You can also buy an "engineer learning" version for slightly more than the student edition - or at least you could.

If you buy off E-bay be VERY careful about the version you get.

Chris P

Thanks for the replys :D

Tell me how do you all rate Pro/E compared to other types of similar software ?? :confused:

PS its JourneyEd.com no "-"

Dimitri

I rate Pre/E very low. It's widely used, but highly overrated. Data interoperability issues are very common, it's got some very troublesome issues with what should be easy to resolve features, compared with other packages, and the people at PTC are not reknowned for good service.

If I were buying another CAD package, I would ONLY buy Pro/E to be able to use it as a translation platform. (for legacy Pro/E data) I don't mean to be overly negative, but I have a very LOW opinion of Pro/E. There are only a very few things that Pro/E does well - and nothing that you can't find elsewhere in a package that does MANY things well.

And to qualify that, I'm not a single platform user. I've used all of the major platforms, and many of the minors. I would take SolidWorks over Pro/E any day of the week, and UG or Catia, if you could justify it. (I run Catia V4 and V5, mainly) As an additional alternative, SolidEdge or KeyCreator run circles around Pro/E, for a package in the same class and price range.

I am owner/manager of a CAD design firm, and my opinion of Pro/E is well founded. It's easily the most problematic CAD package that I deal with on a day-to-day basis. I've even heard that Pro/E is not doing well, and that comes as no surprise. Most of my Pro/E customers tell me that they're not all that impressed, and only have it because *their* customers use it.

To finish my rant, I've saved the best for last. Of all the customer files that I have that have proven to be a "challenge", the most are Pro/E. I actually have a database of problematic data files that I keep, both for an archive, and more importantly, to test the merits of a translator. When I purchase new CAD programs or translator plugins, I use the Pro/E files as a test of how good the translator is. If the program/plugin/translator can translate my Pro/E junk into something good - sometimes even something barely useable, I tend to buy it. (what does that say to you?) I have a lot of data compiled on what systems and filetypes are easy to work with, and Pro/E does not shine in any single category.

My $.02. Hope it helps.

Hate Pro/E works like crap harder to use and makes easy things hard. Solidworks is much much better. Though solidworks 05 seems to do a good job of converting pro/e wildfire 2 files and imports then without too many mistakes.

Husker

Well now I offically feel like I'm going to waste part of my life learning Pro/E at this point. :(

What would you recommend that would let me use the skills I learn in Pro/E to use in a similar software ?? :confused:

Dimitri

Pro/E was the first real CAD system that I used and I found it easy to use. It does require that you define things properly. Solidworks is easier to use but allows you to be sloppy. You sketch things that are underdefined and it will let you get away with it.

There are several things that Pro/E can do that Solidworks STILL cannot do. Features that are in CATIA and they want you to upgrade.

If you learn Pro/E first Solidworks is a slam dunk.

Chris P

Forgot, Solidworks doesn't keep changing the file name for different revisions so you cannot tell what model is what. It saves over itself so it can be very difficult to recover old versions. Very difficult when you are working with other people.

Assembly modelling and redefinition is awful because the mates are all jumbled together. Also for some daft (probably patent) reason it will not allow you to enter negative or zero numbers in several places where Pro/E is quite happy.

Also I have seen several cases of Solidworks models having "holes" in them where you can see thorugh where it should be solid. NEVER saw that with Pro/E. Don't try the sheetmetal package of Solidworks with large bend radii as I did for flex circuits - the algorithm completely blows up. I tried seven different ways to model it and none worked completely. Solidworks and their rep never did come up with a solution.

Several times patterning features in complicated mold tools fails and so you have to model the feature over and over - not cool.

The solid models do work though because I have done many part designs.

Solidworks isn't perfect though.

Chris P

gee, i can get ya pro/e alot cheaper
I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means - and if it does, you are a fool for posting it here. As a software reseller, and a designer who has, and continues to pay my dues for my software, I would be greatly insulted to see you suggesting that someone buy illegal copies.

Hate Pro/E works like crap harder to use and makes easy things hard. Solidworks is much much better. Though solidworks 05 seems to do a good job of converting pro/e wildfire 2 files and imports then without too many mistakes.
I've heard the word "crap" more than once in the same sentence as "Pro/E". I rarely hear any criticism of any system so much as I do with Pro/E. That's unfortunate, because they've been in business a good long time.

Well now I offically feel like I'm going to waste part of my life learning Pro/E at this point.

What would you recommend that would let me use the skills I learn in Pro/E to use in a similar software ??
Don't despair, and don't give up - keep learning with Pro/E, but don't tie yourself to it. With any CAD pacakage, you basically learn the same things. Logic is step one, and when you switch, learning the translation (i.e. - how to do the same thing in a different system) is step 2. All CAD packages basically do the same thing. Some are better than others at certain things, but once you have the basics, you just need to learn how to "get it done" elsewhere.

Pro/E, as someone else said, makes things unusually hard. But if you can use that, you'll love the level of freedom that you gain when you switch to something else.

Pro/E was the first real CAD system that I used and I found it easy to use. It does require that you define things properly. Solidworks is easier to use but allows you to be sloppy. You sketch things that are underdefined and it will let you get away with it.
The fact that you just mentioned that Pro/E was one of your first CAD packages, and that you hint that it is your expertise, indicates that you may have a bias. While your input is valuable, any bias needs to be weighed carefully.

Remember who the target audience is supposed to be - back in its heyday, Pro/E was designed for engineers. SolidWorks is more of an "all around" software. You can make it as easy or hard as it needs to be to get the job done. That's a beautiful thing.

There are several things that Pro/E can do that Solidworks STILL cannot do. Features that are in CATIA and they want you to upgrade.

If you learn Pro/E first Solidworks is a slam dunk.
At the rate that both companies are going, I would look at the bigger picture. I see SolidWorks waxing, and Pro/E, waning. Where will each package be in 5 years? What does the market share, and level of innovation for each respective package say? What do the developing business partner networks indicate? For me, it's pretty simple - Pro/E, by comparison, is on its way out...

The part about "wanting you to upgrade to Catia" is pure garbage. Catia and SolidWorks operate completely independent of one another, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if SolidWorks was the more profitable division. Why would you want someone to upgrade to fewer seats of Catia, when you could have more seats of SolidWorks? That doesn't make good sense. Nobody leaves features out of SolidWorks, as a ploy to get users to move to Catia. Catia and SolidWorks are each in their own price class, and are marketed accordingly.

The COST of developing SolidWorks to put it on par with Catia, would WARRANT the purchase of Catia, so I find that to be a rather dim view. It's like saying that AutoCAD should be equal to UG, and at the same price as AutoCAD. The cost of programmers, and development is extremely high, and you can't just take SolidWorks code, and plug it into Catia. It doesn't work that way, sorry to tell you...

Forgot, Solidworks doesn't keep changing the file name for different revisions so you cannot tell what model is what. It saves over itself so it can be very difficult to recover old versions. Very difficult when you are working with other people.
That has its disadvantages, too. Most designers like being in control over what their file names do. It does require discipline, but it's easy enough to read file headers and see when the last mod took place. I don't even see this as an issue. If anything, I'd say it's an undue constraint. (the only people who ever really bring this point up are Pro/E users)

Assembly modelling and redefinition is awful because the mates are all jumbled together. Also for some daft (probably patent) reason it will not allow you to enter negative or zero numbers in several places where Pro/E is quite happy.
SolidWorks does assemblies just fine. I love their approach. I seem to remember being able to reverse the values. Can't remember if it was with negative numbers, or with a reverse direction feature. I use Catia mainly, and the Assembly modelling is very similar.

Also I have seen several cases of Solidworks models having "holes" in them where you can see thorugh where it should be solid. NEVER saw that with Pro/E.
I've seen plenty of cases where Pro/E couldn't resolve simple geometry with functions like fillets - that everyone else could handle just fine. (Pro/E is particularly bad with fillets) I wouldn't touch Pro/E as a surfacing package. And what's this thing about going from Pro/E with a version number, to "Wildfire", and "Wildfire 2"? Each of these versions seem to be night and day different. Pro/E has this constant need to reinvent itself. SolidWorks, on the other hand, is making consistent strides in the right direction. (even if they are not perfect)

Don't try the sheetmetal package of Solidworks with large bend radii as I did for flex circuits - the algorithm completely blows up. I tried seven different ways to model it and none worked completely. Solidworks and their rep never did come up with a solution.
I have a business associate who did a large scale experiment with many different CAD sheetmetal packages. He had one part, and did a sheetmetal development in all of the systems that he had available. Pro/E, SolidWorks, UG, etc. (did not have Catia, so I can't speak for it) What he found was:

A) none of them unfolded the part correctly (based on an actual part)
B) none of the output matched any other system

My point - there are better benchmarks than a sheetmetal workbench. The very best sheetmetal packages are probably in UG (automotive) and Catia. (sheetmetal for aerospace) These packages are basically unaffordable for anyone but a mid-size to large company.

Several times patterning features in complicated mold tools fails and so you have to model the feature over and over - not cool.
Sounds like you might possibly not know how to use SolidWorks, or gave up easily. I've never known patterning to be a problem.

The solid models do work though because I have done many part designs.

Solidworks isn't perfect though.

Chris P
No CAD package is perfect. If they were, there would be no need for service packs. Life would be so fair.

My summary of Pro/E, at a glance:

A) unnecessarily difficult to use (only a software called Euclid did I ever find more backwards and hard to use)
B) hard to share data
C) too many vastly different major releases (part of the data interoperability problem)
D) too many constraints
E) BAD product support
F) Failure to stay on top of a market that was theirs to lose (enter SolidWorks)
G) learning curve TOO FLAT! (SolidWorks learning curve dwarfs that of Pro/E)

SolidWorks has won more awards than any CAD package in history. That's noteworthy.

I'm not a primary SolidWorks user, nor am I a reseller - but it's a wonderful platform, and I'd pick it over Pro/E anyday. I would never choose it over Catia or UG, though...

proe rocks. the people who don't like it never "got over the hump". It is a very different style of working. you can work very quickly. most people have trouble with the concept and peculariaties of the "sketcher".

I am a proe instructor. A decent instructor will get you over the hump in a few days. From there, keep youre eyes and mind open and it's home free.

Of course I am biased.

Cheap is good unless its priacy because I dont want to end up with a legal mess

Thanks for all your replys I think I'm going to go with Pro/E the bais towards it and the fact I'm going to learn it if I want to or not seems like the logical way to go

Dimitri

I think it's important that you keep a really positive attitude, and don't make up your mind about ANY CAD system, until you've actually used it - and even then, you need to use it for a good long time. Experience is the best teacher, and you'll only know if you get your hands dirty in somebody else's sandbox.

I don't agree with the "over the hump" comment - but then again, I'm not a single platform user, so my opinions are VERY well rooted in fact, and knowledge of many different systems. (Not sure what people think they have to gain by holding onto a fierce pride - that THEIR CAD package is the ONLY thing that's any good - that's foolish)

I run my own business, and use multiple platforms. I am intimately acquainted with the strenths and weaknesses of most of the major CAD packages. My intent was only to point out to you that Pro/E is NOT the ideal package. I'd stop short of calling it complete garbage, but I don't believe that it has many redeeming qualities. There's nothing that I would consider a "strong" point for Pro/E, that you couldn't find elsewhere, without the problems associated with it. Shop around. There are better values if you are going into business for yourself. If you are going out into the workforce, position yourself around what make sense. There are probably 7 SolidWorks users to each Pro/E user right now. That ratio isn't going to get any better in favor of Pro/E. That's where I stop offering you CAD opinions, and start giving practical advice.

And again, remember, I'm NOT a SolidWorks user! I have no bias towards SW, except that I believe it has more potential.

Read this post again in 5 years, and see where each company is at...

Cheap is good unless its priacy because I dont want to end up with a legal mess
Many business are starting to really crack down on people who use pirated software. (as we are tired of subsidizing thieves) When I suspect a customer has sent me a file from a pirated version, I immediately send it to the respective company, and ask for a file interrogation. If you do business with anyone, and they catch you using illegally licensed copies, you had better watch out. The criminal penalties aren't that daunting - what's scary is when one of those companies comes after you with a CIVIL suit for violating their intellectual property rights.

Brings new meaning to "you'll never work in this town again!"

Failsafe7, have you used the Wildfire releases? I'll agree with everything you say if you're referring to 2001 and earlier. Wildfire has much, much, much better usability.

Okay, so they pretty much ripped the front end for it off of solidworks. I'm okay with that, because its now a better front end.

The thing with Pro/E is that it stops feeling clunky right about where Solidworks gets insufferable. If your work involves "plate with some holes in it mated to a few shafts" then pro/E is the wrong tool. There's too much setup involved for too little payoff. But if your work involves a bunch of complexity - turbine blades or something - then Pro/E is the far superior product.

Its certainly not a waste of your time to learn pro/E. Especially as Pro/E has the aura of being one of the hardest packages to learn (and that was totally true in the older versions.) So if you tell your prospective employer "I've got 400 hours of pro/E experience, and some Solidworks" The perception is that you're more skilled than "I've got 400 hours of Solidworks and some Pro/E". But the fact of the matter is its largely the same skill set in any package.

Having said all that, and having worked professionally with Pro/E, IDEAS and Solidworks, I got solidworks when we set up shop, becuase nearly all of my design work is the 2.5d stuff that solidworks really excels at.

Failsafe7, have you used the Wildfire releases? I'll agree with everything you say if you're referring to 2001 and earlier. Wildfire has much, much, much better usability.
Yes, I have. That's why I made the comment about PTC having to "reinvent" Pro/E constantly. The problem I have, though, is that even though things have changed, there's so much still the same...

Since I've gotten over the design side, my biggest everyday headache, is still data quality.

Okay, so they pretty much ripped the front end for it off of solidworks. I'm okay with that, because its now a better front end.
Front ends are pretty generic thesedays. Look at the new frontend in UG NX4, and see if you recognize the features...

The thing with Pro/E is that it stops feeling clunky right about where Solidworks gets insufferable. If your work involves "plate with some holes in it mated to a few shafts" then pro/E is the wrong tool. There's too much setup involved for too little payoff. But if your work involves a bunch of complexity - turbine blades or something - then Pro/E is the far superior product.
And yet, there are even better tools than Pro/E for such things.

I think the only reason that Pro/E is doing some things as well as it does, is because its business partners have dumped tons of money into some specific products that required it to be "robust" in certain ares. (of course, that's how it goes with any package) But like I said earlier, for as long as Pro/E has had to develop its products - especially vs. someone like SolidWorks - you should expect so much more from them.

Then again - nothing brings out great products and innovation, like a littel competition...

Its certainly not a waste of your time to learn pro/E. Especially as Pro/E has the aura of being one of the hardest packages to learn (and that was totally true in the older versions.) So if you tell your prospective employer "I've got 400 hours of pro/E experience, and some Solidworks" The perception is that you're more skilled than "I've got 400 hours of Solidworks and some Pro/E". But the fact of the matter is its largely the same skill set in any package.
Right. And I hope that you will acknowledge my point in having said this, also. This is a very important point.

Attitude is everything in the workforce. Unless you are specifically being recruited for a particular, hard to find skill, it's always been my experience that an employer would rather hire someone who has a positive attitude, wllingness to learn, and less experience, than someone who is stubborn and set in their ways, regardless of their skill level in a particular area. Learn the Pro/E, prepare to have to change at any time, and adapt mid-shift. With that in mind, you'll do well.

I started on AutoCAD, and went straight into Catia, having never touched it.

Having said all that, and having worked professionally with Pro/E, IDEAS and Solidworks, I got solidworks when we set up shop, becuase nearly all of my design work is the 2.5d stuff that solidworks really excels at.
There you go. That was my point, exactly. You have to go with where the money's at. Most customer data from small firms, and even mid-size firms these days, comes to me in SolidWorks. I'd say the vast majority of my work, in one form or another was native SolidWorks, or the destination output is SolidWorks.

I spent a number of years on Pro-E, up to 20i or 2000i, or whatever they called it pre Wildfire. I'd have been happy to use that release for the rest of my life.

When I was told to leave that company I bought Solidworks, having never used it and having seen only a couple demo's. Main reason was I hated the way PTC 'packaged' their product to make it look competitively priced, and then dinging you for the extra modules that you had to have to make it useful.

The company I'm doing work for now wants me to switch to Wildfire. I went through one brief training course a year ago, but haven't made the switch yet as the project I'm working on is already in SW. I noticed a number of things that are more like SW, but overall I think they destroyed a great product. I'm not looking forward to this.

That seems to be a trend with any software, it always gets more complex and harder to use as it evolves.

I honestly like wildfire much more than the older proe. they made a great many real improvements. preview geometry, patterning, etc....

you can still have it in your old flavor if you want to turn on the "old" option.

Back