What's new
What's new

surfacing question

WILLEO6709

Diamond
I have this semi-simple, semi freeform surface file in 3d wireframe that I need to recreate in some kinda surface/ solid. There are only 2 real surfaces that are not easy to trim to. I have solidworks, gibbscam, a download of free rhino and zero rhino experience. Is there a good trhino surfacing tutorial on the web or am I better off trying my luck in gibbscam?

As someone stuck using a lot of gibbs surfacing palette tools lately... If gibbs will let you import the wireframe and extract geometry off of it I would try using some lofts and sweeps with guide curves and stitch it all together at the end.

If that doesn't work, rhino can do it but I'm not sure what file formats it can export as that would be compatible with Gibbs (if that matters).

What are you intending to do with the final of the file? What program are you more familiar with using? Slogging through anything you're familiar with will likely take less time than climbing the learning curve with unfamiliar software. However, as another member has aptly pointed out, if you can't save the file to a useful format then your work will be wasted.

I get a chill when I hear surface and "free software" in the same sentence. :skep:

If you just need a quick sweep or blend you could use anything really..

Back