What's new
What's new

nitronic 50/60 - whats it machine like?

WILLEO6709

Diamond
Just as the title says, Looking for a field report on turning Nitronic 50 or Nitronic 60 stainless steel. I bascially need to know if its close to how 304 machines or if 304 feels like aluminum in comparison.... anybody run this stuff?

my other option is S42200 422 stainless, which sounds like unobtanium. Anybody know a source for 422 rounds?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/nitronic-60-ss-parts-questions-231566/

More difficult to machine than 304 but not enough to make 304 feel like aluminum.

Kind of strange that the other option is 422. Nitronic 60 is austenitic (not heat treatable, nonmagnetic) while 422 is martensitic (heat treatable, magnetic). Nitronic is often used in applications where strength, corrosion resistance, and nonmagnetic properties are desired.

That said, if it's a customer spec, it is what it is.

It's a bit tougher to machine than either 304 or 316, but it isn't exactly A286 either ( as far as stainless materials go)
Certainly ain't 422, and I'm also curious about the choices.
Whenever I got a Nitronic part to make, it was for it's resistance to galling. Most of these were threaded pieces to mate with 321 or 347 SS.

You will get a nice finish on the Nitronic, not too sure about the 422 tho.
If memory serves correct, the 422 will want to tear a little, somewhat like steels do.
The Nitronic is a bit harder, almost like that it's gall resistant properties also mean cut-resistant.

If you can wait a week, I have a 12' piece of 7/8 diameter threaded bushing to make in the next few days.
I'll report back what I've found this time around.
Don't remember the exact tooling I've used so I'll have to re-experiment again.
I know I've used a less honed edge inserts, but not sure if it was a Stainless or nickel grade.

The customer originally asked for astm a194 grade 16, now that I can't find material they came up with stainless 422 and I saw nitronic ( seems more available ) and thats all I can say right now.

It looks like Fry Steel carries 422 round bar.

ASTM A194 is a specification for nuts. Grade 16 does not appear to be a standard alloy. It shows that it is heat treated to HRC 24-35 and has the chemical composition

Carbon .36-.47%
Manganese .45-.70%
Phosphorus .035% max
Sulfur .040% max
Silicon .15-.35%
Chromium .80-1.15%
Molybdenum .50-.65%
Vanadium .25-.35%
Aluminum .015% max

Back