What's new
What's new

Turning Center Advice

NIDinc

Plastic
I'm looking at adding a turning center to our shop. We currently have a couple of older two axis CNC lathes that are pretty much dedicated to production of existing contracts and products. I'd like to get something more versatile to expand our horizons. Perhaps multi axis, live tooling, twin spindle, etc.

One contract we have the opportunity for would tie up a machine for a week or so per month and make a payment while leaving room for other production. But it involves turning 2" and 3" donut shaped parts that previously were molded from UHMW. Any thoughts on the best machine for this kind of production?

$50-70K range if possible. Used to Fanuc but open to Mazak, Haas, Okuma, ? If we were to bar feed the 3" UHMW we'd be looking at over 3" bore, but we normally get by with 10" chuck or smaller.
Thanks for any input.

Is that you Jeff?

I'm looking for a similar machine. Used market for a nice clean late model unit in that price range is tough. There's more selection in the $80-$120K range.

3" UHMW will more than likely be over sized by .03 to .06". Not sure if most 3" machines are exactly 3"? If the stock fits, I'd run the stock right in the draw tube...........no liner. If it doesn't fit, you will be looking at a pretty big lathe, 12" chuck.

$50-70K range if possible. Used to Fanuc but open to Mazak, Haas, Okuma, ? If we were to bar feed the 3" UHMW we'd be looking at over 3" bore, but we normally get by with 10" chuck or smaller.
Thanks for any input.

A machine with a "big bore" 10" chuck, e.g. Kitagawa BB210, should have an 80mm spindle bore.

But $50-70K with live tooling in that size is going to be well used, e.g. an early 2000s Mori NL2500MC.

As mentioned by Orange Vise, if you're looking for a Japanese machine with live tooling it will be at least 10-15 years old. I have no experience with Haas, but maybe that's the machine for your budget. For plastic, you probably don't require a rigid Japanese machine. I think Doosan's are more economical and decent machines, but I have no experience with them either. Good luck.

If you're wanting to cut plastic, I'd most definitely want live tools. Chip control when turning plastic is a nightmare, and I would love to be able to cut a keyway on the diameter to break up the chips. But like others have said 3"+ through the spindle will push you into a big machine, and a bigger budget...

If you're wanting to cut plastic, I'd most definitely want live tools. Chip control when turning plastic is a nightmare, and I would love to be able to cut a keyway on the diameter to break up the chips. But like others have said 3"+ through the spindle will push you into a big machine, and a bigger budget...

Chip control...........phhhhht..........just gotta know what you're doin'. ;)

My plastic turning experience is kinda limited... One job that was fun was turning some big nylon slugs nearly 12" in diameter... If memory serves me right, I was plunge-turning .200" wide, .02"/rev and who knows how fast for SFM :confused: It was a fun cutting material that fast, but chip control was NOT fun on that one...

Chip control...........phhhhht..........just gotta know what you're doin'. ;)

Years ago I had a totally open CNC centre lathe. One occasion I was turning some 10 or 12" pieces of UHMW. Using a polished VBMT, the chip was coming off continuous like a streamer, flying across the workshop, and gathering in a very neat little pile on the floor about 30' away. Great fun!

We used to have some customers with Haas machines doing plastics.
2 or 3 machines, and after 7 years they had zero service calls on the machines, and near zero tool wear, according to them.
They were very happy.

They also knew what they were doing - suspect the tooling and right cutting conditions are important.

Eesh, call me a n00b if you like, but even on proven programs, my butt puckers up a bit getting that close to a spinning chuck.

Single Block. Distance to go. Stop Spindle, open door. Use a 1/100 scale, and double-check you have enough "distance-to-go" before your tool hits the chuck. Close door, and move on...

Single Block. Distance to go. Stop Spindle, open door. Use a 1/100 scale, and double-check you have enough "distance-to-go" before your tool hits the chuck. Close door, and move on...

I not sure he was talking about running it the first time. I'm sure this program was proven out before taking the video. Even still, scares the shit out of me too to get close to a spinning chuck. And that's w/the door closed. Those things have the potential to kill you, or worse, disable you. That being said, w/the right precautions and by not standing in the death zone, it's very unlikely.

Didn't say I can't do it(especially not after my, uh, learning experience with a VMC).... But sometimes my undies have a little hole in them when I'm done. :D

Eesh, call me a n00b if you like, but even on proven programs, my butt puckers up a bit getting that close to a spinning chuck.

You just never ever let your guard down.

That part has been run for years, good set up and good program. And as you can see from the camera angle, I'm not right on top of the chuck. Also, what you can't see is the door was half closed.

Back