What's new
What's new

Another FP Activ vertical spindle "rebuild" with humorous twist....

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
This time the FP3 that is already sold....but not shipped yet and noticed that if run at top RPM for ten minutes or more, while it runs quiet enough it becomes progressively more difficult to move the quill in the head. Which is quite curious as it seems so smooth and quiet and doesn't seem overly warm to the touch.

So yesterday I said what the heck, and take it out and apart anyway. It was smooth as silk and with no sound (tuning by hand) but it did seem like it didn't spin freely enough, so figured it either had some preload on the thrust bearings, had too much grease, or the wrong kind of grease.

What I found was sure enough some preload on the trust bearings, the grease amount was about right but black as the ace of spaces and therefore must not be Kluber. So I cleaned it all up with carb spray, both needle and thrust bearings appeared and felt absolutey as new and applied Kluber.. One other surprise is that the lower thrust bearing was upside down ! The spacer/washer with the grooved race, should be the closest to the end of the spindle but this one has the all flat spacer in that position. So I'm thinking, ahah, maybe that's it.

So I get it all back together, this time with thrust bearings oriented correctly, and it moves and sounds beautifully, like a brand new spindle.

=========================================================

Re install it in the head, turn it on 500 rpm, works great, stop it, turn it 1000 rpm and within 3 seconds it seizes up !!!! (V belt slipping, shut 'er down)

A major WTF ? on that one...I even imagine things like perhaps that thrust bearing was upside down for a reason....but I get the spindle back out and it still turns beautifully. Then I realized the culprit has to be the big bevel gear's thrust bearing must have seized some how....but how, and why now of all times ?

Took the top apart and immediately saw the problem....the split threaded collar that one uses to put the light preload on that gears thrust bearings...it's clamping screw was loose ! That apparently allowed that collar to thread itself too tight against the gear's thrust bearings, thus the seize up. Apparently just the act of removing and reinstalling the spindle was enough to be the "straw that broke the camels back" in that regards and it seized it.

Once the collar was knocked unthreaded a bit, all was well. but while I was to that point I took the bearing apart to see if there was any damage. To my surprise it looked pristine as new.....but there was not one hint of grease or oil in the thing....dry as a bone. So, I Klubered it, put it back together with light preload, made sure the collar screw was tight, reinstalled the spindle....and viola, now it can run at 2500 RPM indefinitely and the quill moves just fine, temp barely above room temp.

Bottom line is the humor is that here I was trying to make something better, that was already ok, just not perfect...but somehow made it infinitely worse with the seize up.

But the reality is I did make things better....only the real problem was not where I thought it was...problem was in the bevel gear bearing preload (and lack of lubricant), not the spindle.....although at least now I know the spindle is better too.

Plus it's a good thing the problem happened on my "watch" as it would be a major WTF ? if it happened soon after the new owner took possession of the machine.

Last edited:
On cleaning and packing a spindle, even if the parts are used...a prudent owner should run in the spindle, starting slow and working up...
Start at lowest RPM ...run for 15-20 min..then up one step and repeat...go up through all the speeds till the top...Hold max RPM for 1 hour...Monitor the temp
(infrared temp sensor)

The spindle should see some temp rise but not excessive....(Would think 100*f or so max for a 2500 rpm spindle after the full run up and the hour at speed)
CNC's can see up to 130* on a fresh rebuild

Cheers Ross

On cleaning and packing a spindle, even if the parts are used...a prudent owner should run in the spindle, starting slow and working up...
Start at lowest RPM ...run for 15-20 min..then up one step and repeat...go up through all the speeds till the top...Hold max RPM for 1 hour...Monitor the temp
(infrared temp sensor)

The spindle should see some temp rise but not excessive....(Would think 100*f or so max for a 2500 rpm spindle after the full run up and the hour at speed)
CNC's can see up to 130* on a fresh rebuild

Cheers Ross
That was pretty much the plan after I ran it for a few seconds at 500 and then hit 1000 just to make sure it was quiet still...but the bevel gear bearing apparently seized when I stopped it at 500 rpm....the more I remember....was thinking 3 seconds but really I don't think it ran at 1000 at all.....apparently when it braked when turning 500 rpm off, that was just enough inertia to move the bevel gear threaded collar to "bearing lock" position. The point being, thank goodness it happened when I was right there at the machine with the "stop" button within quick reach. Can you imagine if this happened after 30 minutes of running while I was in the office and didn't notice the machine had stopped ! Guess I would have smelled the smoke from burning V belts !

Can you imagine if this happened after 30 minutes of running while I was in the office and didn't notice the machine had stopped ! Guess I would have smelled the smoke from burning V belts !

I hope after a few seconds of this load, the motor would trip the safety breaker and shut off the power itself!

Back