What's new
What's new

Oerlikon UB2 move, How to tilt the head

Yes it is. If you look at the catalog and manual photos. You can see how they were handled in industry.
The only thing to look out for would be to make sure the head was in a position so that the machine would hang level. Also make sure the column clamps are tightened up so nothing moves when you make the lift.

Yes it is. If you look at the catalog and manual photos. You can see how they were handled in industry. The only thing to look out for would be to make sure the head was in a position so that the machine would hang level. Also make sure the column clamps are tightened up so nothing moves when you make the lift.

At the same time I posted the query on using the eye-bolt I also asked Dr. David Samways (Ango-Swiss tools) about it, and he too mentioned it can be done but keeping the whole thing level would be the issue.

The base was strapped down to a pallet at the original location before it was put in the bed of the pickup. Yesterday I called in the regular tow-truck I use to lift stuff .

Used 2 lifting slings under the pallet deck and then hooked up to the 2 hooks on the boom of the tow-truck. Managed to lift it out with just a slight tilt of the machine, and the tilt was just due to unequal length on 1 side of 1 lifting sling. Wasn't too bad a tilt. I didn't go with the eye-bolt lift being concernet it would be too tilted towards the head end and might end up scrapping the glass of the pickup's backwindow.

Once I clean it up a bit, I'll post a few pics. Didn't come with the Oerlikon X-Y table though so will have to keep a lookout for reasonably priced Fehlmann tables that pop up here cause an Oerlikon table popping up alone here in the US or Canada is beyond unlikely.

Glad to hear that everything went so well Spud.

Never got too excited about drill presses, I don't even have a drill press in the shop. But if I was ever to get a drill press it would be one of those Oerlikon That's a cool machine. :smoking:

Todd

Last edited:
Glad to hear that everything went so well Spud.

Never got tot excited about drill presses, I don't even have a drill press in the shop. But if I was ever to get a drill press it would be one of those Oerlikon That's a cool machine. :smoking:

Todd

Now I have this, an Alzmetal AB3SV and a Solberga. In a few months I will sell the Alzmetal I think and definitely the Solberga.

I think this machine can do some light milling also since the factory offered an X-Y table ,unless the table was merely for positioning of work-piece.

I think this machine can do some light milling also since the factory offered an X-Y table ,unless the table was merely for positioning of work-piece.

"Positioning", yes, and valuable. Milling? Not so much.
Better to take what you get for the other two DP and find a proper mill, Spud.

It isn't just about side-loads vs on-axis Mill vs DP. One also has to:

A) Keep the tooling from walking out of the spindle, and

B) most helpful to have advancing Z axis that can be utilized whilst in the cut, not 'just' X-Y.

C) NOT have a round-column vs box or dovetail that has nothing but friction to prevent it rotating under the sort of loads milling, not drilling, transmits to it.

EX: The AB5/S has the twin cutouts for MT5 drift key AND a wedge-lock retainer, much as MT spindle hor-bores have. There is no provision for a drawbar. Now.. it is 2017 here already.. How easy d'you suppose it is to FIND either the MT5 with the cutout for the retainer? Or even a retainer?

Yah NEED that. Morse Taper had already earned a reputation for otherwise walking out of the spindle somewhere around the late 1800's. Enter the B&S tapers that were to dominate milling-machine spindles for nearly a hundred years as better suited to the task. And they had drawbars, even so.

Back to the stout AB5/S. I have the round-column with the rectangular table. Ga-ron-tee the locks are no longer good enough to prevent the table rotating about the column if I tried to mill with it. Hard enough to keep the table centered over the base even just during its road-trip home.

I can improve on that. But even so, I'd be wiser to fab a bracing plate similar to an overarm support or shaper table support.

If useful? I'd still have no Z axis movable whilst in the cut. The quill does not replace a knee. WTH 7.5 HP AB5/S, vs 1 3/4 HP on the Quartet, and stout as it is, the AB5 quill still has a smaller diameter and 50% more stroke length to support than the Quartet's #9 B&S has. The Oerlikon doesn't really match either of those.

For me, "light" milling then, would be use of the Burke #4 instead of the "Quartet".

Drill presses make good drill presses. Most especially the three marque's under discussion, here.

Most Mills - even 'marginal' ones - make far the better mills than even these ones.

EG: It is generally cheaper and faster to have one of each than to mess about with attempted sex-change operations on either.

JM2CW. "I got mine", of course.

:)

Last edited:

Back