What's new
What's new

OT-Source for unplated wood screws

MDH

Cast Iron
Looking for a source for unplated, flat head straight slot steel wood screws, Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

How many and what size are looking for? These are really getting hard to find and the new stuff just looks bad in restorations of older things....

rivett608

#6 or #8, don't have it in my hand right now. Quantity would be several hundred.

Mike

I have had to resort to using hydrochloric acid to remove the zinc plating that is universally used on steel screws these days. I then rinse in water, use Tool Black, and oil them. (I am doing metal work, not wood work.) Sometimes an air bubble forms in the slot, which will prevent the acid from working. It helps to agitate the parts in the acid.

Larry

This topic was covered before about 1-2 years ago, IIRC. Try the search function.

Also, there is a company in Missouri (Merit ???) that I bought some unplated threaded inserts from a few years back; maybe they offer wood screws also. They were great to deal with - they send the stuff, you send them a check whenever !!

I remove the zinc plate by immersing the screws in phpophoric acid metal prep (Jasco) and leaving them there for a couple hours. The screws come out looking like they were black Parkerized and are very rust resistant. If all you need is clean steel, etch them until they quit bubbling.

It's an accidental discovery. I was stripping the plating from some screws and forgot them. I don't know why it works but it does.

FWIW, hydrochloric acid (muratic) is nasty stuff in a machine shop. The fumes escape and find bare metal and rust it forever. It's like someone put a spell on it. Use phosphoric for etching, descaling, whatever, when you can. It's slower and leaves a little hard to remove smut on the metal but the fumes won't blight machinery.

Thanks for all the replies; that restoration site looked interesting. Kilroy, yup first place I checked was Brownells, but like everyting else they carry their screws are pricey,$7. for a doz that figures out to $50 per 100.

Looks like i may go the acid route, unless I find a US manufacturer that will sell me a few hundred before the go in the zink tank.

Are screws still being made in the US??

Thanks again

Mike

If you have access to one, use the acid in an ultrasonic cleaner. Inexpenisive ones for jewelery can be found everywhere, including Ebay. You won't have any more problems with air bubbles in the slots. Use phosphoric acid and ultrasonic cleaners extensivly for cleaning EDM parts and it works unbelievably well, even in cavities.

Yes it will leave a residue but it isn't that hard to get off, a brass wire wheel is sufficient.

their screws are pricey,$7. for a doz that figures out to $50 per 100.
True, Brownell's standard prices are high. However if you can find a gunsmith or FFL that has an account with Brownells the price drops to $2.76 per dozen. Don't know if this helps you any, but I thought I would mention it.

I use Muratic Acid to remove the plating for some bolts i use on my products, as unplated bolts are too hard to find plus i have about of 100 lbs of plated ones in stock...Bob

What sizes needed? We have thousands on them here at the trolley barn,but many are large sizes. Let me know and I'll look. We were talking about tossing them, as nobody wants to use them because of rusting.

Thanks for all the replies. Trains4, I may seriously take you up on your offer. I restore old antique guns, many used screws that were "embellished" with some minor engraving, or pattern. I'm having the stamps made as we speak so my engraver has the screws; One I get them back from the engraver I'll know sizes.

Thanks

Mike Hunter
Hunter Restorations

Hunter restorations:I have thousands of 1950"s unplated wood screws.Smaller stzes are limited.These screws are much better than any new ones.Slots and threads are cut SHARP.Edges of heads are sharp,not rounded from stamping.State your needs.Most of the old boxes may be falling apart.Also have some royund head blued ones.The main trouble is packing these up.I may be off the rest of the week.Let me know what you want and I'll look next week.

Hey thanks

In the middle of an Ice storm righ now, no power, wood stove cooking on the grill, no TV(its a blast). Stricly on BTRY PWR so may be a day or so befor I can reply

Mike Hunter
In MO

Back