What's new
What's new

Chip Hoppers?

Ox

Diamond
Anyone have what they would call a good setup for a 12 yard hopper? You know the ones - they are aboot 6-1/2' tall and ??? 12' long? The truck backs up to them and hooks on the chains and actually picks it up and swings it up onto the bed of the truck - or eventually over to a pup...

I would really like to git my hopper under roof - but inside isn't really safe. If we just ran oil it should be fine - but since most of it comes from coolant machines - fire can be a real issue!

I want to git them outta the rain - but to have a roof over top - the roof needs to be so bloody high to clear the rigging from the truck - that any amount of wind is gunna degate the point of the roof anyhow...

Just seems that a roll off is WAY better suited for keeping under roof. ???

Anyone got or seen any real good applications? With 1.2" or weekly rain here last yr - our chips stay rinsed a bit more than I'd like. !!!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Eaton had a setup where by the skip sat still and the shed it was in rolled back on rails for filling and changing the skip.Even had a sump and a pump which pumped the coolant back to the bulk tank.I offered $500 for it when they closed but got outbid.

Why not build a 'carport' or pavilion, and a rail system?
Roll the hoppers out from under the roof, and then onto a rolloff truck er...whatever. Back on the platform, and back under the roof...

And remember, if YOU think it could be a fire hazard, your insurance company would have a fit
about it....

dk

Your're lucky you don't have to comply with the newer regulations to be an auto OEM supplier. At work we put up a $90,000 shed to park the roll off in with a sloped floor to a safety pit we can pump out. It now costs almost as much to get rid of used oil and water as it does to buy the oil new. We can't even store used pallets outside anymore, in case it rains and a bit of oil might wash off them. We even have socks in the parking lot drains.

A fab shop down the road has a rolling roof/shed like Mark is talking about- not over their chip skip, but instead over their plate rolls.
They have a set of 12 foot rolls that will roll 1 1/4" plate, and they dont use em too often, so they poured a slab for em outside- and then build a little angle iron and pole barn siding shed for the rolls. They bolted down a pair of 3" angle, point up, rails, and used v grooved wheels, and the whole shed rolls back to allow the rolls to be used, one guy can slide it easily. It probabably only weighs 500 to 800lbs.One padlock locks the whole thing down.

i think ries is onto something
a rolling roof shouldn't be that hard top build
should probly add some hold downs incase of a blustery day winnie

While that doesn't sound half bad - it doesn't sound too winter freindly to have in the 100 acre wood. ???

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back