What's new
What's new

What's the ultimate electric handheld die grinder ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Something about Dremel size that uses 1/8" shank Dremel grinding/sanding wheels, but better than a Dremel ?

And yes I know pneumatic is better, but looking for electric specifically for this application.

I have had a couple of Dumore electric die grinders over the years and they have held up very well. The spindle end is threaded 5/16-24 and you can screw on either a 1/8" collet or a 1/4" collet. One shop I worked in had a Black & Decker that was of high quality construction but I dought if that one is still made.

It comes with both collets 1/8" & 1/4" and given the size of the grinder (there not that much bigger than a Dremel tool) the 1/8" is the one thats in the tool most of the time. When I use the 1/4" collet the moter isen't quite upe to the task for very long.

I have a few Milwaukees (great) one Dumore with flex shaft (good) and ate a few Dremels (plastic gears) but the very best is my Bosch.

Works good with a variable speed router controller for the 2" and larger cutoffs. JRouche

Oh yeah, I have one of the Roto-zip grinders too. Very impressed with that one also...

Ooops, after seeing Michael's post it refreshed my memory. My flex shaft is not Dumore, it is Foredom.

The Dumore is the lathe T/P grinder I have....

Dental Technicians use one That is really great
They do carving for false teeth and wax impression.
It is the size of a Dremel and has a variable power supply and costs about 250...
Don't know the name, but it is Quality
Rich

If you can live with a cable drive, Dumore is best, but Foredom is about 1/3 the price of a Dumore. I have been using the same Foredom for almost 15 years, I did have to replace the handpiece last year, bearings were shot.

I've been using a Foredom (that I got used) for more than 30 years. I use it a lot! I did have to replace the handpiece as the bearings did go on the original (and that failed unit makes a nice "pin vise") but I have no idea how much use it had before I got it. You can also get many different kinds of handpieces for them, ones that accept only specific kinds of burrs for a quick change advantage and even a hammering type handpiece. The basic handpiece - a number 30 I think - offers the flexibility of accepting cutting tools from a few thousands to about .18" using a number 0 Jacobs chuck.

I think the NSK are about the best....... $ 1000+.... I settled for a Gesswein and am quite happy with it....... the Proxon ones seem a bit nicer than the Dremels but I have only used their 220 volt ones over there and have no idea how they well the 110 volt ones do here...

Proxxon grinders apparantly put dremels to shame but I dont have any first hand experience. Hell, I use my dremel so much I thought it would fail years ago. Although since Ive been using air grinders I havent used it quite as much, although I would like a 1/8 collet die grinder specifically for all of my dremel attatchments

Jim

Don,

I have worn out several Dremels over the years and still have a couple of good ones around. I tried the NSK at several tool shows and thought it was wonderful, and the absolute best of the electric handpieces, but just could not justify the price. I was in a Woodcraft store in Charlotte a couple of years back, and saw a Buffalo Dental Manufacturing Co. V35 electric handpiece that I really liked. I thought it too expensive and did not even try it. Some time later I was in the store and saw that they had the V35 on close-out at a significant reduction. I gave it a try in the store and came home with it. I haven't used a Dremel since! It has a short wing-nut like release back from the end a couple of inches that makes burr changes a snap. Has plenty of torque and runs quiet and smooth. The speed control is a separate box with an on-off switch and speed control with several speeds. Like you, I have a small pencil vane handpiece, and some of the turbo kind, but setting up air is not pratical for quick jobs. I will be glad to take photographs and send to you if it sounds interesting. Buffalo is in Syosset, NY. The unit is of good quality, and isn't marked as an import. You might check the local Woodcraft and see if they still have a bargain on a left-over. I don't immediately recall what it cost me. It wasn't cheap, but a bargain for what it is.

Don, as an edit, it came with 3/32 and 1/8 inch collets. Collet changing is not as simple as with Dremel, but I use the 1/8 exclusively.

Jim

Hi,the NSK electer GX is in my opinion the best.Many different styles of handpiece are available some with right angle heads,high speed ,high torque etc...are available.They are super smooth with no vibration like a foredom handpiece .The motor is actually in the handpiece but it is still the size of a foredom hand piece.It is also much easier to move about as there is no thick flex shaft connecting it to the control simply a coiled wire.Have a look at the NSK website.Jason

I like my Dumore. I have gone thru many dremels, I have never broken one myself but as soon as someone else picks it up that is it they are pretty delicate but still useful for model making etc.

Precise is probably the best electric die grinder that's readily obtainable. They make several models over s range. I looked that them and bought a far distant second best from Sears at 1/10 the price.

I bought a Dumore for the rock quarry I used to work at. They were regrinding the carbide balls on hammerdrill bits with it. It was like $500 and it burnt out within a month. But that was grinding several hours a day (they didn't want all the noise of a pnuematic in the shop).

Knowing now that carbide dust is pretty toxic...I feel bad for all those boys that had that crap job.

Back