What's new
What's new

DC Brushless Servo Motor on Restored 1939 Clausing 12" Lathe?

Grizzlybagworks

Plastic
I can't believe it but I've finally finished rebuilding my 1939 Clausing 100 12"x36" metal lathe. I was about to mount the original 1/4hp 1725rpm motor to the bench when I remembered that I had a spare Consew 3/4hp CSM1000 Brushless DC Servo Sewing Machine Motor that was sitting in a box unused. I thought it might be a good option.

I temporarily clamped everything in place just to get an idea of how it would run and am pleasantly surprised. There seems to be plenty of torque even at low speeds and the motor is adjustable in 100RPM increments from 500-4200rpm.

Has anyone else tried this? My preference was originally for a 3-phase 1hp with a VFD but this motor was cheap ($120) and I already have it. It seems to work but I don't know about the longevity of this setup. I'd be curious to hear from others who may have more expierence/knowledge about these motor systems.

THanks!!

Can't comment on the durability of your set up but caution you on running in reverse. Reverse will screw your chuck off of your head stock. Can get messy.

I can't believe it but I've finally finished rebuilding my 1939 Clausing 100 12"x36" metal lathe. I was about to mount the original 1/4hp 1725rpm motor to the bench when I remembered that I had a spare Consew 3/4hp CSM1000 Brushless DC Servo Sewing Machine Motor that was sitting in a box unused. I thought it might be a good option.

I temporarily clamped everything in place just to get an idea of how it would run and am pleasantly surprised. There seems to be plenty of torque even at low speeds and the motor is adjustable in 100RPM increments from 500-4200rpm.

Has anyone else tried this? My preference was originally for a 3-phase 1hp with a VFD but this motor was cheap ($120) and I already have it. It seems to work but I don't know about the longevity of this setup. I'd be curious to hear from others who may have more expierence/knowledge about these motor systems.

THanks!!

I shall have to switch 'puters to view your video, but yes, if that is a bona fide INDUSTRIAL sewing-machine motor, it should be superior to a garden-variety Dee Cee motor, as suited or BETTER suited to a machine-tool than a 3-P + VFD, and JFW work fine for a long time.

Logan & SB tens shipped to our JR HS / HS shop, end of the 1950's had but a 3/4 HP 3-P motor anyway. A 3/4 HP is really about the max your comparably light (or lighter?) lathe should be given.

Back