What's new
What's new

GE measurement fail.

Someone holding a caliper, with something sort of bluish and out of focus in the background.
How sinister. :nutter:

Hey, it's GE, we make big titanium precision turbines! We're spending cubic dollars for a Super Bowl Commercial. But we can't measure. I guarantee NOTHING at GE is measured with an analog vernier caliper.

It's not sinister, it's funny. Sadly, only to a smaller and smaller group of people though.
Here:

Power and Beer - YouTube

Director probably needed needed a tech shot, asked his latte gofer to pose with said calipers.

GE guys in Schenectady (and the Starrett guys) are probably slapping their heads in disgust.

I've finally figure it out!!!!!

Thats how the Chineese quality controll experts measure everything before shipping it out. " Ahar, Dis won is write in torrewence... Shiip it"

That part is not titanium. We have such a caliper in every toolkit and millwright's toolbox. But you just can't get good blade techs these days:D:D.

He's not measuring anything, just removing chips from the groove. Right tool for the job type deal. He'll be on Sons of Guns next week, probably setting cannon shell timers with a pipe wrench.:eek:

Ben

Marketing

I don't know about GE, but in our world the sales people run the advertising end of the busniess. They don't make or measure anything, not a clue how stuff works, just know how to sell. Its a diffrent ballpark that they play in.
Cheers

[rant] That schmidt makes me crazy. I looked in on the SB during commercials on the Simpsons and saw somebody's add with cartoon penguins and cartoon polar bears together. Doesn't EVERYBODY know that they live on opposite poles of the earth? Sheesh! :crazy: My Boss says "It's just a commercial!" Granted, but do they have to add to the total of ignorance in the world? I think we have all we need already. Aargh! [\rant]

i saw that the second it flashed on the screen i was like "that aint right" had to rewind it just to make shure they did get it wrong

That commercial was most likely part of another very successful company that GE acquired. The caliper bit, and the fact that the commercial is showing up on most 'worst Superbowl commercial' lists, is just the GE contribution.

I viewed photos of a cmm supposedly touting its greatness and accuracy.......someone went to a drill press, got a 3 inch drill vise, clamped a part and took a photo. Of course color, composition and exposure were the important factors and a MBA in marketing probably ok'd it.

Reminds me of a white pig on the side of a Holstein cow that was part of the Vermont State Police logo last week.....Inspected, approved, purchased, utilized, (on 30 units before discovered). whoever designed it was already incarncerated and must be quite pleased with himself.

Last edited:

Back