What's new
What's new

OT -- Looking for a splitable v-belt

Weirsdale George

Stainless
A friend needs to replace the alternator v-belt on his airboat. The problem is that the propeller must be removed to access the crankshaft pulley. I am looking for a v-belt that splits apart with the removal of a steel pin. I have seen them years ago in use, but have no idea what they are called or who makes them. (We looked at power twist [or link] belts but he would rather have one with a simple pin.) Thanks.

McMaster sells a few types of splitable belts, besides the Power Twist. One they used to sell used steel rivets and had a bit better life and less stretch than either of the composite link belts. Looks now to be an updated version available.

For (fairly low HP) alternator detail, I think most anything would work once you get it properly tensioned.

A friend needs to replace the alternator v-belt on his airboat. The problem is that the propeller must be removed to access the crankshaft pulley. I am looking for a v-belt that splits apart with the removal of a steel pin. I have seen them years ago in use, but have no idea what they are called or who makes them. (We looked at power twist [or link] belts but he would rather have one with a simple pin.) Thanks.

I didn't even know they sold ready-made belts of that sort.

The 'usual' way was to buy the regular belt, buy the joiner kit, slice standard belt, apply kit.

NB: can't remember seeing an alternator as didn't have a rather small pulley.
Joined belts are not at their best nor most durable on a tight wrap.

Bill

For Steve45: The airboat owner doesn't want to temove the prop for whatever reason. Also he wants to carry a spare belt that he can replace easily out in the deep swamp areas where he often goes.

For The Gentleman: Thanks for the offer, but he needs a source where he can order spares.

For Pete M: I was on the McMaster site and could not find them -- do you have a searchable name for these belts?

To all responders: Thanks for inputs.

"Quieter"?

'Stealth' airboat, then?

Powered with a 6v-53 deeeeetroit with "short stacks"....:D

On a serious note: that pin suffers from fatigue/vibration etc. and when it lets' go...

It's going thru the prop, along with the metal belt ends.

Why is this customer wanting to change them in the water ?
When was the last time anyone here "loose" a belt on a vehicle ?
If he would do good preventive maintenance, he wouldn't "loose"
a single belt, rather change them when old, at the dock.

Last edited:
Bite the bullet and pull the drive shaft. Then put extra belts over the shaft and tie them up so they don't rub. Then they will be ready if you throw one.

Bite the bullet and pull the drive shaft. Then put extra belts over the shaft and tie them up so they don't rub. Then they will be ready if you throw one.

Sounds like one of my mills.

:)

Such spares live longer, stay cleaner, are easier to shape and anchor to avoid rubbing if foil-wrapped.

Why are they failing so frequently ?

Look at cars that had v-belts, they weren't dropping them all the time.

Lycoming runs a front alternator, with a v-belt, and I have not heard of problems.

But in looking at them the belt is hiding behind a cowling so I suspect is not affected
by the blades as they pass by.

If the op is having to replace the belt frequently, it might be, that it may be getting
knocked around with every blade that passes by, maybe some guarding/cowling is in order.

For (fairly low HP) alternator detail, I think most anything would work once you get it properly tensioned.
IIRC, the alternator on a 6V-53 pulls around 5hp at max output. So no, it needs the correctly specified belt or he's going to be replacing a lot more frequently.

jack vines

Back