What's new
What's new

Robot to clean shop floor

My neighbor had a Scooba wet floor cleaner that did not work. It had a bunch of extra things to keep it within a certain area with a hard floor. I know he spent a fortune on it. I had a little fun checking it out and trying to figure why it would not work. As far as I could tell, there was no way to take it apart without destroying the cheap plastic housing. I put it and all the expensive goodies in the garbage. I did recycle the box. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: iRobot Scooba 390 Floor Scrubbing Robot

I think the carpet/dry floor vacuums may be OK in a home, but probably not on a machine shop floor. Amazon.com - Neato XV-14 Automatic Robotic Vacuum with Extra Brush Heads, Filters, and Squeegee - Blue

I did once destroy a regular upright vacuum cleaner when it found a screw on the carpet before I saw it.

Larry

After using a Roomba at a cottage over a week a few years ago I think it is actually a good question/idea. The home type units would not stand up in a shop environment and the waste bin is not big enough but I would buy one if there were a rugged enough version that were only slightly larger. It was nice to be able to just hit clean and empty the bin when it was done.

They had one in the local hospital about 5 years ago.

Not sure how long it was on trial but was never introduced.

It slowly moved around one of the large through areas full of people walking by.

Continually beeping and flashing a red light.

Shop floor sweeper is how a bunch of people got their start in a shop,
and it's how employers weed out potential hires.

And you want to eliminate this ?

Eliminate the C.E.O. position.....the payback is much better.

And it's not like they (C.E.O.'s) do anything remarkable anyways....slash workers, burn vendors,
farmout overseas...Lather, rinse, repeat.

If I had a robot cleaning the shop floor, I'd never get to say; "That's where that little F'er went!" The epoxy floor coat in my shop is one of the smarter things I've ever done. I can find things I drop (which happens a lot) and it's easy to clean. No more floor dry!

If you can't "one hand" a push broom, you should find another line of work. If you're done working and have time to push a broom, you have time for an adult beverage.
JR

I guess you are getting at a "self cleaning" floor, from the ground up this could be done for a high initial cost, look to the production sandblast industry and basement type floors with augers and recovery hoppers, open bar floor grating would cover the deck, all your machines would have to be on footings for proper support, all the chips fall through the grating to VEE shaped channels with a conveyor auger at the bottom.

I guess it would be do-able, but dropped tools and car keys would suck .... did you drop that little set screw? tough shit, go get another one ....

Shop floor sweeper is how a bunch of people got their start in a shop,
and it's how employers weed out potential hires.

Doug, your missing the point. This is the 21st century, we have cnc these days. What better way of braking in a new "robot" can there be than following the multi hundred year old tradition of starting one out on the broom?

After all with worker equality it would be wrong to just go let that new robot become a button pushing part loader :-) You can't discriminate just because you can turn it 0n/off as you desire and not pay it :-)

You will eventually appreciate the shock-absorbing qualities of a nice 2mm black film that covers every inch of your shop floor. Just gotta play the waiting game.

Back