What's new
What's new

Scraping Bibliography

Thanks for that, not a bad bibliography, he missed mentioning Schlesinger, but on the other hand, it's nice to see Nick Mueller getting a mention!

Ray

The K&J video is a good one that I hadn't seen:

K & J Scraping Training Video - YouTube

In the comments everyone is asking: what are the orange and black contrast pigments he's using? My guess is red lead for the orange (hence not saying what it is). But does anyone know what he's using on the plate for black? It really shows up beautifully in the video.

Black pigment

The K&J video is a good one that I hadn't seen:

K & J Scraping Training Video - YouTube

In the comments everyone is asking: what are the orange and black contrast pigments he's using? My guess is red lead for the orange (hence not saying what it is). But does anyone know what he's using on the plate for black? It really shows up beautifully in the video.

I did it with lamp black, made by H. Schmincke (in Germany), which I bought from Pearl. That was back in 2007, but I would assume they still sell it.

It is a pity there is no good scan of "Testing machine Tools"

There is an Indian one that is useful, but is not a good scan... The book is way way out of print and quite rare, virtually unavailable to buy, but I see available to at least anyone in Australia that resides in a capital city (it is in quite a few university libraries here).. And the author died something like sixty years ago...

There is an Indian one that is useful, but is not a good scan... The book is way way out of print and quite rare, virtually unavailable to buy, but I see available to at least anyone in Australia that resides in a capital city (it is in quite a few university libraries here).. And the author died something like sixty years ago...

Check with Rich King. That's where I got my good scan.

There is no mention of scraping.

No, but it is extremely valuable for anyone doing machine reconditioning.
Talks about tolerances of axes alignment etc. for any (any?) machine tool.

Edit:
While it is true that the Schlesinger is hard to find, you will find the same numbers with a bit of additions in the DIN 8605 (etc.)
Schlesing was the father of these standards worldwide. He really made a very logical and systematic work.

Nick

Check with Rich King. That's where I got my good scan.

I think we all have the same one, from some library in India?

It is legible and mostly clear, but some pages are not legible, plus it has the binder marks and the pages are not square... Yes I am being picky I know... If the governments of the world had not gone full retard on the copyright issue (apparently patents are only worth 20 years but copyright might as well be forever given the time on it) people would not be scared with these old out of print books to put them in the public domain....

This bibliography is a real help to me in adding to the reference list I use for my scraping classes. Any who've taken my classes have received a CD of miscillaneous materials, commentaries, and ancillary information. I've been looking in all the wrong places for the Whitworth paper on generating flat surfaces and the best I could find is Charles Porter "Engineering Reminiscences" who only references the technique with a quick description.

Steven Thomas, you do not go unrecognized by me. I mention your scraping articles in HSM Magazine in my every class. Your articles are a prime example of application of scraping theory to a practical project and how to intelligently apply "English" to provide wear and deflection allowances. Steven's five part article should be part of this bibliography because of its photos and well written discussion. Steven has also makes relatively light weight 32" straight edge castings. Any who needs a scraped straightedge and is willing to DIY the scraping part apply to Steven.

I'm flattered that my name appears in the OP bibliography link but I gotta say but I'm also little sheepish because I've made little contribution to the body of knowledge. I'm mostly a preserver and presenter of nearly lost lore: lore of immense practical value to the budget challenged small machine shop operator and the home shop machinist. With basic scraping skills, a willing heart, dogged perseverance, and gathered tools and research, a home shop guy can re-condition a worn-out but otherwise complete machine tool to like-new condition for accuracy, linearity, alignment, and durability of the axes' sliding elements. The basis of this work is skill with the hand scraper and the techniques used descend from Whitworth down generations of refiners and elaborators to today in the persons of Rich King, Don Roperts, myself, and a dozen or so oher scraping teachers and a few hundred full-time practitioners in this country and our colleagues around the world.

Many undocumented trades and skills of yore languish for lack of organized conservation.

Last edited:

There is an Indian one that is useful, but is not a good scan... ...

I have a first edition of this book. I'll contact Greg M. and see if he will scan and post it on his website for all of us to view and down load. My copy is in good to very good shape for its age.

One unique thing about this book, it has a intentional vertical fold made into the soft bound covers so it could be folded in half and poked into your back pocket. This was for the floor inspectors to carry around with them.

Ken

I would be willing to make a scan and convert to pdf of my copy of the third edition if copyright isn't an issue.

Don

Last edited:
Shape 'n Scrape, 5 part series in HSM, 1990's

I was unaware of your series, and expect I'll want to mention it in the resources section of my metalscraping CD. Which issues it is in? My HSM copies don't go back that far, but I probably can get them as back issues. Unless there is (or is going to be ;)) a link?

BTW I tried to PM you, but your storage is full.

Back