What's new
What's new

Steff stock feeder running hot?

A_Pmech

Stainless
I recently took delivery of a new Steff 2038 stock feeder for my shaper. I ran about 100 feet of work this morning with the two-speed motor set in the "low" speed position. I let the feeder run as I set up several different operations.

By the time I was done, the motor was almost too hot to hold my hand on it (I'd say 130F.) Running in the "high" speed position the motor cooled off significantly. It concerned me enough that I checked the line voltage at my receptacle, looked for a hot ground, etc. All is OK.

Is it normal for a Steff to run this hot in the "low" position or am I just paranoid? Being a two-speed motor, I would expect the thing to heat up a little more in the low position due to the slower fan speed, but this just seems abnormal.

BTW: I looked at the motor tag for a temperature rise rating and couldn't decifer all of the data. Euro motor tags are totally different!

The windings should be rated for at least 90 degrees C. So as long as it stays below that you should be fine. Look at the nameplate ratings to be sure. If it bugs you you could always install a fan on it.

Back