What's new
What's new

O.T. Allergies, respirator for yard work?

I have a mess of weeds to cut down. I got started a few days ago and ended with an allergy attack that lasted 2 days. Zyrtec-d worked last year, seems ineffective this year. I was thinking of trying a full face type of paint respirator. any one ever try this? Any one have any other ideas?

respirator

I bought a respirator about a year ago and it is definately worth the $40.00 I paid for it!!! picked on up at home depot, good for breathing clean air, great for tons of projects where you won't be breathing crap you dont want to breath, I work for Stanley Steemer believe me Its definately worth the small investment!!!

I feel your pain. Used to be, on days I did the lawn, I couldn't plan on doing anything else; I'd be so wiped out. Here is my new routine. Wear a dust mask while doing the deed, followed by a nasal rinse. Works like a miracle. Nasal rinse: 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda in 1 cup teppid water. Squirt up nose with one of those blue infant squeeze bulbs. Use up the whole cup. A bit nasty and messy but has been a real life saver for me.

Either that or pay some kid to do the lawn. Spread the wealth.

I've been wearing a half mask respirator with two big cheek cartridges for years anytime I mow, clean the barn, stack hay, sawing trees, etc. Buy one at Lowe's or HD for about $36. Works great. Reuseable for years. Don't buy those "painters masks", they are only good for one or two uses and don't keep anything close to "most" of the dust out.

Steve.

We recommend such a mask for our patients that have such symptoms, as well as those patients with a history of asthma, asthmatic bronchitis, chronic lung diseases (like emphysema and bronchitis--asthma fits this category, too) and heart diseases. We also tell woodworkers using tailed apprentices in their shops to wear masks, too...and have a micro-filtration system if feasible for the entire shop environment.

Filters have to be cleaned after each use--so you'll have adaquate airflow characteristics "through" the mask itself.

Ditto on the other suggested option, is hiring another to do the job...

I was an asthmatic kid, too...and suffered similar symptoms as you describe--talk about miserable--sheesh--and then my asthma would quickly be triggered.

By the way...using the OTC medications for allergy maintenance are certainly acceptable--but make sure if you a heart patient or you've a history of high blood pressure, you ask your doc about OTC antihistamine type medications--

Joe

I started using a OTC product called NasalCrom 15 years ago for hayfever because i have high blood pressure.

I have not had any problem since.

Its a histamine blocker.

Interesting thing is skeeter bites don't bother me anymore as the itching and swelling is also a histamine reaction.
This product also has no drug interaction and can be taken with other medications and will not raise blood pressure

Back