What's new
What's new

Where to buy wire "finger trap" armor to be used on Noga Mister

dgfoster

Diamond
I know there has to be a source for this, but so far, I have not been able to locate one. I need to use something like the so-called Chinese finger trap wire mesh to protect my Noga mister Loc Line. Occasionally, some hot swarf come in contact with the plastic Loc Line. The swarf can cut into the line enough to damage a link so it no longer holds position. It seems like the metal finger trap material might be just the ticket to prevent this problem. Locating a 1 foot section to cover a 5/8" diameter line has been impossible, so far. Most likely I am using the wrong search words. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Maybe there is a better alternative?

TIA.

Denis

Here's the stuff you're looking for..
McMaster-Carr
Comes in different ranges; this is steel braid, but they have other materials.
Good Luck

I know there has to be a source for this, but so far, I have not been able to locate one. I need to use something like the so-called Chinese finger trap wire mesh to protect my Noga mister Loc Line. Occasionally, some hot swarf come in contact with the plastic Loc Line. The swarf can cut into the line enough to damage a link so it no longer holds position. It seems like the metal finger trap material might be just the ticket to prevent this problem. Locating a 1 foot section to cover a 5/8" diameter line has been impossible, so far. Most likely I am using the wrong search words. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Maybe there is a better alternative?

TIA.

Denis

Thanks, that I had found. Too short but the right general idea.

Here's the stuff you're looking for..
McMaster-Carr
Comes in different ranges; this is steel braid, but they have other materials.
Good Luck

Dang it! I had looked at McM several times, but I had not thought of sleeving as a search term. I think the expandable stainless sleeving should work well. McMaster-Carr

Unless there is a better idea, I will just wrap each end of the sleeve with fine stainless or galvanized wire to terminate the sleeve and hold it in place.

Thanks, you guys!

Denis

In addition to McM, you can get short lengths of that at Jegs or Summit, or even down at the local auto parts store. They use it to dress-up underhood hoses, etc.

Chip

If it is used to guard from hot ships then why would you use mesh?

Can you use a section of larger Oiltight to cover it?
It is smooth on the outside and will not catch and hold chips like a mesh will.

If it is used to guard from hot ships then why would you use mesh?

Can you use a section of larger Oiltight to cover it?
It is smooth on the outside and will not catch and hold chips like a mesh will.

"Oiltight"? Not familiar to me. If there is a better product, I am interested.

Denis

There was a link a while back on here for a locline all made in metal, was real pretty to look at :-)

Sorry, in a hurry...
Look for liquid tight conduit
McMaster-Carr

I know, no the intended use.. but it will have smooth surface, less likely to grow into a chip coated mess.

I'd use this stuff...used to call it "greenfield" Also comes in aluminum. http://www.flex-tubes.com/greenfield-flexible-conduit.html

Sorry, in a hurry...
Look for liquid tight conduit
McMaster-Carr

I know, no the intended use.. but it will have smooth surface, less likely to grow into a chip coated mess.

I was aware of these conduit products. The problem with them is they are not flexible enough to do the job. Tough they are.

I did find woven titanium boot protectors at the local NAPA store. It was sold 8 to a pack for about 60 bucks. Then online I found this.
These 6" lengths are a bit short what I need. But is getting closer to a very good solution
DEI 1541 Protect-A-Boot- 6in- 2-pack- Titanium These tubes are very flexible.

Denis

A little follow up here: I did buy, as suggested by usrjrco11, some titanium sleeve protector from Design Engineering and the product seems to be a great solution to my problem.

Titanium Protect-A-Sleeve with LR Technology 1475 | Purchase DEI, CryO2, Ny-Trex, Boom Mat & SPA Turbo Products | Design Engineering, Inc. - Thermal Performance Products

I bought the nominally 1/2 ID sleeve hoping it would stretch over the Noga mister plastic locline spray hose. It does so very easily as this stuff is very pliable and easily slipped over the spray arm. It seems to be an ideal solution.

Now my next hurdle is figuring a skookum way to finish the cut ends. Perhaps "serve" or "whip" the ends in sailor parlance using fine stainless or galvanized wire and then use shrink wrap to cover that as suggested above by Milland. Once this is done that mister hose will be hot chip proof.

Denis

Back