What's new
What's new

Got the 10EE in the workshop, need a lesson on the headstock oil system

bll230

Hot Rolled
I have a 1957 machine with the three oil sight glasses on the headstock.

I need a lesson on the oil system in the headstock. Picture one shows a little reservoir with three tubes coming out of it. One tube each goes to the front and rear threading gear bronze bushing, and one tube goes to the sliding feed/threading selector. How does oil get into the reservoir to go into the tubes?

Picture two and three show little reservoirs above the front and rear threading gear bronze bushings, with an oil drip hole in each. How does oil get into these two reservoirs?

Picture four shows a copper tube that seems to be an overflow for the center oil compartment since the tube just ends inside the headstock casting. Is that what it is?

Picture 5 shows the headstock drain pipe. I assume it is the drain for the center or left oil compartment. How do you drain the front oil compartment and whichever other one the drain tube is not connected to?

Thanks

John

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 120
Since nobody has answered yet. All of the little reservoirs are filled by the splash of the oil by the gears as you run the machine, It does a nice job. The copper tube on the LS is an overflow that goes to the chip pan. The big tube on the right is the main drain. If you want to drain the front cavity, remove the sight glass. The third rearward sight glass is its own little reservoir that feeds the special rear spindle bearing, and it has a hole in its outer race. They changed that bearing later to a regular type and did away with the extra sightglass, etc, as normal splash would service this already.

Back