What's new
What's new

I'm so happy!!!!! Huge cubes (MRR), Fadal/small business related.

Bobw

Diamond
We picked up a 4020 off of E-bay a while ago, '93 10krpm, thru coolant, 28" Z, for almost nothing.

When it got here, we changed out the Bellevilles, 14 of the 44 where shattered, drawbar was cracked and the waylube pump would only put out 6psi. Fixed all that easy, only a few bucks, pretty much expected.

Took a little over a week for the fixing, wiring, rearranging of the shop, parts to come in etc.

But tonight, WE MADE CHIPS

YG V7 endmill 1/2", in 1018, 986sfm, .105 width of cut and .900 depth, 250ipm, 23.625 cubes, no chatter, no bounce, good finish for the feed. bogged the spindle towards the end of the cut, but it was so happy pulling out 18+ cubes. What a beautiful rooster tail of chips, I'm so damn happy. It works, and can now make money, DNC cable in the morning and off she goes. 3 new Kurt 688s, a pile of tools from Maritool (thanx, you're a great person to work with), SHE IS FINALLY READY to make me some money.

I can't believe it, the other two mills we are running, could only pull 1 cube, and 1.4 cubes. One hp limited and the other a fricken Acroloc. The Acroloc had 5hp, and was the sh**ier of the two, (stupid mushroom spring tool interface).

I ran a '97 Fadal in a shop I managed for 3 years, and I never got these kind of #s, this one just kept taking more and more and more and never bounced, jumped, hopped, chattered. Rock steady, until the spindle bogged at 23.625 cubes.

I am so happy!!!!!

There are still a few problems with the machine, but those will be reserved for another thread, this is a happy thread, and a # comparison thread.

SO, are my #s good, I'm impressed. 18+cubes on 15hp easily, 23+cubes with a bogged spindle, but no chatter, hop or bounce.

I'm so damned happy.

So what are you guys getting for removal rates? I can't wait to get the coolant tank full and rip on some Al.

Sheez if I could figure that out I would be like real smart. :D Now it's till it comes loose them -10%. Sounds like you have that male cave alpha thing Mitty was talking about. Good luck with you new toy. Hope you make lots more chips.

Hey that's great. I see a lot of Fadal 4020's and 6030's around here. Those machines have made some of my locals a lot of money.
Have fun!

Back