What's new
What's new

MSC & Truth in Advertising

Steve's Hobby

Cast Iron
I recieved a promo from MSC-Wow 30% off everything.

I have wanted a Servo power feed for my mill knee for some time and at

that price about 500 I can afford it. Well, plugged in the 30% and nothing, Called the nice lady at MSC and she didn't understand either and
she would get back to me-anyways after a little while she calls back and
says Machinery Department says they don't give the 30% discount, well why didn't you have the exclusions clearly laid out in your add-ah, oh,
sorry.

I wasted an hour of may time-Generally,I have been happy at MSC but not this time-kinda like you go to Sam's Club everything is 30% off and then at cash register they tell you not that item-I don't like it and the members should be aware of this deceptive advertising.

It appears to me that MSC's owners/managers have taken the get rich playbook of recent industry:

1) Buy up your competitors.

2) Aim for economies of scale (e.g. cut overhead and quality of service).

3) Spend lots of money on advertising.

4) Raise prices about 30%, then periodically have 30% off sales. Make extra money on the exceptions and everyday high prices.

5) Nickel and dime your customers on stuff like shipping.

6) Think you're doing great -- and for a while have it look that way.

7) Gradually piss off your customers and slowly trash the company.

About the only good thing is that they've occasionally let good deals slip through the cracks, as they tuned their "specials." I suspect we'll see fewer and fewer of those deals.

Did it look like this?

msc.gif

Thats it-I read all orders over a certain amount are on sale. My intention is to not start a diatribe against anyone, but if you're not meaning everything is on sale then the items or groups of items which are not on sale should be clearly stated to save my and everyone's valuable time and not play games. Not just a disclaimer in fine print written by Legal staff which only adds to the confusion printed in fine print on the bottom.

Otherwise its bait and switch and deceptive.

Welcome to MSC. I wouldn't expect any less. I got sick of it. The time spent sorting through their myriad forms of "discounting" (fax, email, verbal, website listed) to get a reasonable price on anything...
I decided a long time ago, in my case, is better spent in ordering it from McMaster which always has it in stock, gives no hassles on pickup or returns, and has it ready for me in less than an hour. Efficiency at its best, IMHO.

Everything IS on sale - just that the discount is "Up to" 30%. It MIGHT be 30% on some things. It might only be on one thing.

The English is pretty clear. Same as Best Buy - "Everything on sale".

As for the "Big Book Blowout", they can blow it out their A_ _ .

MSC sucks, I used to like J&L, had a decent salesman, prices were in the
reasonable range, web site was simple, the 25% that came around once a month really was a good deal and time to stock up. Then MSC came around and they changed my salesman to some guy with a Brooklyn accent that was really high pressure, he sounded just like the jerk that used to call from Detroit Industrial tool.

Then the prices went up and up and up and up and up and up. The sales are just stupid, its not K-Mart, just give me a good price everyday without all the BS.

I'm pretty much done with them, I use them for stocking up on drills, 3 of this 2 of that, sanding belts, the emergency reamer or oddball endmill(at huge prices), and I try to only do it when they have their twice weekly sale. To make the 5 items the other day I was buying single allen wrenches for 70 cents each.

There are too many manufacturers and tool dealers out there to even bother with MSC, MSC can have the piss ant stuff and tiny orders, for anything else I try to go to a smaller company that's going to give me a good price on a good tool with out the gimmicks.

I really don't know what you guys are complaining about. From what I have found MSC and Enco prices are almost always lower than other suppliers McMaster, Fastenal, Grainger etc.

As Wegman noted the sales are "up to 30%." I suspect this is because certain items are slower movers in a down economy than others. Honestly, I don't know how MSC can be making anything on sales because resellers typically mark items up by somewhere around 30%.
How much do you guys really think MSC is marking items up?

For those of you who have found cheaper suppliers with better service, don't hesitate to spill the beans. I sure can't name any around here. The city where I work is home to the oldest industrial supply house in the country and they bend people over big time and their product lines are junk (the only taps they stock are made in India). I needed a 82 deg c-sink in a hurry so we went down to the old supply house and all they had was a Morse brand. It cost $27.00 and lasted exactly 4 holes in 4140 steel (28 Rc).

Here is the MA Ford brand we later bought from Enco:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=25709775&PMAKA=SU317-0017

Here are my thoughts on this.

If MSC or anybody else suckers you in then let them know about it. And tell them
you have a competitors price. If they say they will match the price, well it's too
late. If one person complains the management knows that there are hundreds just
like you who don't say a word.

I avoid MSC, Enco, Rutland as much as possible. A small place called Advanced
Tools is where I go. They are also open on Saturdays from 8 - 1pm. One guy there
is a machinist and he helps me out when I have a difficult problem to solve. I
think of it as supporting the small neighborhood market.

All these jackasses who run these companies read the same magazines and took the same MBA classes at the 3rd rate college they attended.

Anytime a business advertises they will match any price and beat it by XX% I know they are jackasses.

A while back MSC sent me a survey regarding their takeover of J&L. I left one comment to the effect that it is always a shame to see a first rate company like J&L bought out by a third rate company like MSC. A couple days later I get a cheerful thank you for having participated. I am sure that is how MSC's head jackass was taught to respond in his MBA class.

MSWho?? I used to do business with a company bearing that name, but after a while, they musta got tired of taking my money (apparently my cash doesn't spend as well??:rolleyes5:) because I never got a 'big book' after the first one, and after a year they stopped sending me the sales flyers. After more than 15 seperate requests for a new 'big book' (online, new request, and telephone)- I gave up, and send my business elsewhere...anymore, Fastennone has a better chance of getting my business than MSC.

Last edited:
I talked with my MSC rep yesterday, incidentally he was my J&L rep before they bought them. Asked how it was going, have I received the new big book yada yada yada, no pushy stuff just a general keep in touch thing. I had mentioned I had placed an Enco order the other day as they had free shipping on orders over 99 dollars (needed some large angle plates) anyway, he mentioned that he thought that MSC didn't own Enco anymore although he wasn't sure??
Anyone else heard this?
Dave

I like Travers Tool. Any problem I've ever had was solved quickly and in a friendly manner. Even orders that got placed late, after a sale had expired, were honored at the sale price. I use Enco and MSC for some things, but I always seem to go back to Travers. With any of these people, it pays to ask, "is that really the absolute best price you can give me?" Sometimes they "find" some discount to apply.

Back