What's new
What's new

27 tpi

oldbrock

Hot Rolled
Had to screwcut a 1/8" pipe thread yesterday. Guess what? qcgb had 26 and 28 . the pitch is.03703" the closest feed on my 10K is A 2 which is .0379. So to hell with it, locked in the feed and taper attachment and forward reversed it. It actually fit, good job it is a short thread. Any better ideas out in South Bend land? Peter

SB Info for 27 TPI

Here is a scan of the South Bend literature showing the setup for 27 TPI.
--- Jim

Attachments

• 27 TPI001.jpg
    27 TPI001.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,058
The 27 TPI thread is actually a 'standard' thread. Its either 1/16 or 1/8 pipe. Pipe is normally tapered, however these two also come in straight versions.
Enco has them in their catalog.

Jim B.

27tpi

David C, I was making a collet for a die grinder extension and it needed to be perfectly concentric as it turns at 30,000 rpm so wouldn't trust a die even if I had one. I always screwcut in preference to using a die unless I'm just cleaning up a damaged thread. Thanks for the chart JKULL but I couldn't read it, Tried to transfer and enlarge it but no numbers or words came through just blobs.This is the die grinder extension I was working on. Peter
diegrinderextension.jpg

27tpi

Thanks to you all for your input, I found the chart buried in my files with the chart. I have to make a 42 tooth gear, no sweat. Peter

The forum doesn't allow high resolution scans. If you send me an email I'll send the high resolution version as well as the other side of the sheet which has more information. -- Jim

attachements are limited in size.

put the picture up at a hosting site and link it back here.

search "posting pictures" and you will get plenty of reading.

if you want to make a top punch for your star lub sizer on your south bend then you will be cutting a 27 tpi as it is 1/2" x 27 tpi

I don't want to pile on here but I have some more information that might be helpful. I was in need of 27 tpi for microphones and mic stands so I made a 42 tooth gear. It was cut on my little cnc'ed micro mill. I made a gear at a CAMS ( http://www.cams-club.org/ ) meeting a while back to show of the mill. I can't find a photo of the gear on the lathe but I did find the below shots of the hand-out from the meeting and photo of the gear cutting. If there is any way I can help you please let me know. Tex

GearforCAMS.jpg

42GearCut.jpg

Threads the qc aint got

Just to keep the thread going, it is possible to adjust thread pitch, if you are machining between centers. By offsetting the tailstock to the same inch per foot as the taper attatchment is set to, you effectivly increase the TPI by an amount that is determined by the amount of offset of the taper attatchment and tailstock. Theoretically you could cut a tapered thread like NPT, by setting the tapers different from each other by a certain amount. The amount for pipe thread? What do I look like, a math whiz? I'm dizzy just from writing this!
lwbates

Back